cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
llaroche
Occasional Member - Level 2

How to document a refund

I had made reservations for a recent conference.  At the last minute, I decided to drive in daily versus stay at a hotel.  I received an expense as I had to use the company card for a deposit on the room.  Since then I have received additional documentation showing the reservation was cancelled and the deposit funds were returned to the card.  How do I document this?

1 Solution
Solution
KevinD
Community Manager
Community Manager

@llaroche your admin cannot change it. You submitted the original hotel charge on your LaRoche Hotel-conference expense report, so you cannot do anything with the original charge and the refund on the same report. Delete the Out of Pocket entry from the report, but keep the refund. I think you should be fine to move forward and submit the report. As long as the report total is over zero dollars, you'll be fine.

Thank you,
Kevin Dorsey
SAP Concur Community Manager
Did this response answer your question? Be sure to select “Accept as Solution” so your fellow community members can be helped by it as well.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
MelanieT
SAP Concur Employee
SAP Concur Employee

Hi @llaroche ,

A credit should be sent from the credit card company that will show up in your Available Expenses, and then you can put both the first and the returned transaction on your Expense Report.  You also might want to reach out to your manager to see if they have a policy on how to do this as well.  

Remember to tag me if you respond or feel free to mark this post as Solved if you don't have further questions or comments.  To tag me on your response, you click the  Reply button, first thing to type is @. This should bring up the username of the person you are replying to. 

Thank you,
Melanie Taufen
SAP Concur Community Moderator
Did this response answer your question? Be sure to select “Accept as Solution” so your fellow community members can be helped by it as well.
llaroche

@MelanieT .  Thanks for the response.  The card was charged in July for the stay in August.  If I've already processed the receipt for the charge in a prior expense report, am I able to re-list the expense to illustrate the refund?  Also when I list the original expense it shows as out of pocket, which it isn't.  Can this be changed by my administrator?

MelanieT
SAP Concur Employee
SAP Concur Employee

@llaroche  I will send you a private message for this.  

Thank you,
Melanie Taufen
TashfiulAmin
Occasional Member - Level 1

What is the step by step procedure for getting a reimbursement of a vision frame?

MelanieT
SAP Concur Employee
SAP Concur Employee

Hi @TashfiulAmin ,

I am not sure what you mean by a Vision Frame?  Do you have an example I could look at? 

Thank you,
Melanie Taufen
rohanpatil
Super User
Super User

Hi @llaroche ,

It appears that you incurred a charge on your card for a future expense which was reimbursed. I assume it was IBIP card. Subsequently, the charge was reversed. Normally, the reversal will also result in a negative card transaction that flows into Concur and shows up in your account.

Typically the guidance is that such transactions be adjusted against future spend. In case your integration permits it, the negative transaction can also be expensed on its own and adjusted against any payments you make the company or against future expenses.

There is also another possibility that the refund was processed as a payment. In such case, it will not be loaded to your Concur profile and will need to be accounted for manually or by recording negative cash transaction.

My recommendation would be to check with support/ Concur administrator for your company/ Finance team on how such a refund needs to be processed.

Hope this helps.

KevinD
Community Manager
Community Manager

@llaroche if there is both an incorrect positive card transaction and a corresponding negative card charge, add them both to the same report and they will zero each other out.

Thank you,
Kevin Dorsey
llaroche

@KevinD I didn't receive a receipt for the initial charge for the hotel in July, or there was a deletion of the original charge.  The actual stay was in August.  I have the credit/receipt for August but when I go in to put in the original charge from July it is labeled as an out of pocket expense-which it is not.  Do I need to go through my admin to change that?

Solution
KevinD
Community Manager
Community Manager

@llaroche your admin cannot change it. You submitted the original hotel charge on your LaRoche Hotel-conference expense report, so you cannot do anything with the original charge and the refund on the same report. Delete the Out of Pocket entry from the report, but keep the refund. I think you should be fine to move forward and submit the report. As long as the report total is over zero dollars, you'll be fine.

Thank you,
Kevin Dorsey