I'm looking for how other companies handle the accountability of first level or manager approval. Do you have an excerpt from your T&E policy that defines the responsibility of the approver and when they review and approve what they are acknowledging? Would love to hear what you do!
Here's what our policy says under manager responsibility. Basically, the manager is responsible for the approvals, I'm only 'processing' the expense reports for payment; ensuring the receipts are there, everything is within policy, etc. There's no way for me to know what expenses are necessary.
All managers shall:
• Ensure that, in all circumstances, the travel options utilized are the correct
• When attending a business function, the most senior level person at the
function is responsible for payment of non-travel expenses incurred.
• Review and approve/reject each submitted expense report and ascertain that
the completed expense report complies with the company policy prior to
• If the expense exceeds their delegated authority, forward the expense report
to their superior manager with the associated Travel and Expense approval
level. Expense reports exceeding the equivalent of $5,000 USD will be routed
in Concur for ELT review and approval.
• Address non-compliance of the Company’s policy with the employee.