cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
adrotar
Occasional Member - Level 3

Hotel rates displaying incorrectly

Why does Concur only display the highest hotel rate during a stay instead of the average hotel rate? It is very difficult to get people to book hotels in policy with Concur when they see the rate with Concur displayed as $350/night, and the same room on the hotel website displayed as $331/night. They think they will save money booking on their own outside of policy, and they don't trust our booking tool. In reality, the total cost for the stay is actually LESS with our negotiated rates at an average of $292 per night, ($1462 for 5 nights) but it is the way that Concur displays hotels with variable rates that is the problem. Concur only displays the HIGHEST nightly rate (in this case $350 for the 2nd - 4th nights) on the selection page, instead of the average nightly rate of $292 (like every other tool and website does). 

My travel agency is saying we could put in a pop-up explaining the limitation of the tool, and that travelers should click on each hotel to look at the total price instead for a true comparison, but I can't expect people to open 10 hotel options and hand calculate the nightly rate for each one to see which one is the best deal. They already don't trust that they are getting the best rates, and this is killing the travel team's credibility. Is there a setting where we can fix the amount displayed to be correct? What am I missing?

1 Solution
Solution
KevinD
Community Manager
Community Manager

@adrotar indeed it looks like it is a GDS issue. Here is a document you might find helpful: https://www.concurtraining.com/customers/tech_pubs/TravelDocs/FactSheets/RateChangesOverStay_FS.pdf

Thank you,
Kevin Dorsey
SAP Concur Community Manager
Did this response answer your question? Be sure to select “Accept as Solution” so your fellow community members can be helped by it as well.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
KevinD
Community Manager
Community Manager

@adrotar I posted your question internally and someone from our Travel team asked me what GDS you are using. Is it Sabre? Apollo?  etc. 

Thank you,
Kevin Dorsey
Did this response answer your question? Be sure to select “Accept as Solution” so your fellow community members can be helped by it as well.
adrotar

Amadeus in EMEA and Sabre in the Americas

Solution
KevinD
Community Manager
Community Manager

@adrotar indeed it looks like it is a GDS issue. Here is a document you might find helpful: https://www.concurtraining.com/customers/tech_pubs/TravelDocs/FactSheets/RateChangesOverStay_FS.pdf

Thank you,
Kevin Dorsey
adrotar

@KevinD Thanks so much for the info. It is immensely helpful. How can I possibly expect people to book the lowest overall rate, if the rate isn't shown and we can't sort by it? I know it's not your fault, but it sure is frustrating! Can we add it to a list of improvements for the future? I can't imagine how many bookings end up outside of Concur, and how much money we lose as a company, because Concur can't display an accurate hotel rate on the booking site. 😞 

KevinD
Community Manager
Community Manager

@adrotar I wish I had a concrete answer for you and I understand the concern. The only thing I can think of, and I don't know if it would help or not, is to set up a rule that tells the system not to display rates over certain amounts. I don't know if you already have this rule or not. This way you know that the search results for hotels will be below a certain threshold. 

I'm just trying to offer some sort of solution. 🙂

Thank you,
Kevin Dorsey
adrotar

@KevinD The rule won't help because my goal is for them to book the lowest overall rate for their stay--Concur just isn't allowing them to see what that rate is. The rate is already showing "out-of-policy" when it shouldn't, but that isn't my biggest concern; I care about our traveler's knowing that they can get the best overall cost for the company through Concur. Right now the tool is failing us because our travelers can't find the lowest cost option booking through the tool we tell them they are required to use. I'm really surprised that this hasn't been a bigger deal for other companies and isn't posted as a sticky in the forums. I searched everywhere and couldn't find anything about it. How are other companies managing this?

KevinD
Community Manager
Community Manager

@adrotar honestly I haven't seen this issue come up here on the Community before, so I'm not sure how others handle it. I wish I had a better answer. Have you discussed this with your travel management company to see what suggestions they might have?

Thank you,
Kevin Dorsey
adrotar

@KevinD The TMC said it is a big issue for many of the customers, and they agree it is very frustrating. They don't have any solutions except to post a note at the beginning of the booking process telling people that if the rate varies during their stay, that is will be reflected inaccurately by the tool, and the only way to know the real rate is to open each hotel option and look at the total cost. That seems like a bad idea. Our travelers see the OBT as having one primary job, and that's allowing them to choose the best travel options for their needs and book it. If it can't do that, they would rather go to someplace else that can. They don't see the advantages of what is on the backend, they just want to quickly and easily book a flight and hotel room. I'm at a loss of what to tell them now honestly.  

darlingwold

Is there an improvement to this yet @KevinD ? we use Sabre and running into this issue. We are trying to improve adoption and compliance and it's extremely difficult to do so when the travelers see different rates right off the bat. It's also silly and unnecessary to be explaining to them to waste their time by opening up different rates and manually add everything up. At the very least, it should display the average. How can I fix this internally? Thank you

@darlingwold I asked about this internally and was referred to the fact sheet link you'll see in this thread. From what I read it is an issue of the different GDS systems.

Thank you,
Kevin Dorsey
Zapata596
New Member - Level 1

I booked a room for 2 nights through concur at the Sonesta in Princeton, NJ.  The manager told me that the price of the hotel should be $120 a night but Concur is charging $170 a night.  How do we handle this?  We are overpaying for a hotel.