cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
adityaali1
Occasional Member - Level 2

Expense Distribution

Can you distribute an expense by an entity then further to individual departments that makes up that entity?

2 Solutions
Solution
KevinD
Community Manager
Community Manager

@adityaali1 distributing a distribution per se, isn't possible, but breaking an invoice line item down by location and then by multiple departments is possible. Let me provide a generic example and see if it was you are asking.

Let's say you have Location A and this location has Departments 1,2,3,4,5,6. On the invoice, the items for this location total $600. You can create six distributions for this line item where $100 would be distributed to each of the six departments. Of course the amounts can be adjusted as needed, I was using even numbers as an example. It would look something like this:

Distribution 1: Location 1>Department 1>$100

Distribution 2: Location 1>Department 2>$100

Distribution 3: Location 1>Department 3>$100

Distribution 4: Location 1>Department 4>$100

Distribution 5: Location 1>Department 5>$100

Distribution 6: Location 1>Department 6>$100

Without seeing how your site is configured, I'm answering based on what is possible. If your site has both the Location and Department fields visible on the Distribution form, then you should be able to do what you are asking.

Does this make sense?

Thank you,
Kevin Dorsey
SAP Concur Community Manager
Did this response answer your question? Be sure to select “Accept as Solution” so your fellow community members can be helped by it as well.

View solution in original post

Solution
adityaali1

Thanks yes it does

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
MelanieT
SAP Concur Employee
SAP Concur Employee

@adityaali1 Hello!  Thanks for reaching out 🙂  Are you referring to a list that would start with Entity, and then depending on the Entity you would only see the Departments related to that Entity?  If so, you can definitely do that by using a connected list.  If you have Unrestricted Admin Access you can set up the Connected list fields.  If not, you will want to create a Support ticket to have our Expense Solutions team do that for you.  I will post the steps here as well. 

Once the connected list is created in List Management, the below steps describe how to add it to the relevant forms:

To create one new connected list:

1. Administration > Expense > Expense Admin
  2. Select Form and Fields from the left menu
  3. On Forms and Fields page, in the Form Type list, click the desired form type

NOTE: Connected lists are only available for the Expense Entry, Expense Report Header, and Expense Allocation form types.

1. Click the Connected Lists tab. The Connected Lists page appears
  2. Click New. The Select a List page appears, displaying all available lists
  3. Select the desired list
  4. Enter the Connected List Definition Name
  5. Click Next.
  6. The Connected List Definition page appears, with eligible fields populating the left pane
  7. In the left pane, click the desired fields, noting the following:
  • The number of fields selected must equal the number of levels in the list 
  • Select the Expense Type List Item Key field as the first field if the connected list you configured in List Management and are adding to an Expense Entry form uses an expense type as the first field in the connected list
  • To select multiple fields, use Shift+click or Ctrl+click. The selected fields will appear in the right pane
  1. Click Next
  2. In the left pane, click the desired field. The attributes available for editing appear in the right pane
  3. The connected list preview is displayed on this page
  • The set of connected list fields function as they will on the form they are assigned to. This allows the administrator to validate that the connected fields appear in the correct order and include the expected list item values
  • If the fields appear correct, click Next. Otherwise, click Previous to return to a previous step and make changes
  1. The Assign to Forms page appears. The page displays a list of all forms for the selected form type
  2. Select (enable) the check box for the desired form
  3. Click Done

Remember to tag me if you respond or feel free to mark this post as Solved if you don't have further questions or comments. To tag me on your response, you click the Reply button, first thing to type is @. This should bring up the username of the person you are replying to.

Thank you,
Melanie Taufen
SAP Concur Community Moderator
Did this response answer your question? Be sure to select “Accept as Solution” so your fellow community members can be helped by it as well.
adityaali1

MelanieT. Thanks let me use an example for clarification  I've got an invoice to be paid for a vendor, we have six different locations across the US that each ordered items on that one invoice. Furthermore, for a specific location several departments would have made their request of what's needed so that we can have them bought. In the end the distribution of the expense should be done across each 6 locations then further distributed to the individual departmental cost associated with that invoice. In summary we will have two levels of reporting and accounting of the cost ie the locations and from also the departments of each locations.

adityaali1

In a nut shell I'm looking to have a distribution made within an distribution.

Solution
KevinD
Community Manager
Community Manager

@adityaali1 distributing a distribution per se, isn't possible, but breaking an invoice line item down by location and then by multiple departments is possible. Let me provide a generic example and see if it was you are asking.

Let's say you have Location A and this location has Departments 1,2,3,4,5,6. On the invoice, the items for this location total $600. You can create six distributions for this line item where $100 would be distributed to each of the six departments. Of course the amounts can be adjusted as needed, I was using even numbers as an example. It would look something like this:

Distribution 1: Location 1>Department 1>$100

Distribution 2: Location 1>Department 2>$100

Distribution 3: Location 1>Department 3>$100

Distribution 4: Location 1>Department 4>$100

Distribution 5: Location 1>Department 5>$100

Distribution 6: Location 1>Department 6>$100

Without seeing how your site is configured, I'm answering based on what is possible. If your site has both the Location and Department fields visible on the Distribution form, then you should be able to do what you are asking.

Does this make sense?

Thank you,
Kevin Dorsey
SAP Concur Community Manager
MelanieT
SAP Concur Employee
SAP Concur Employee

@adityaali1 Well I sure was way off on what you are looking for! LOL  I'm not sure you can make a distribution within a distribution.  Let me see what I can find out. 

Thank you,
Melanie Taufen
SAP Concur Community Moderator
Solution
adityaali1

Thanks yes it does