cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MichaelT
Occasional Member - Level 3

allocate multiple expenses to a compulsory user defined field

We have a user defined field "job code" which is compulsory.

When users allocate multiple expenses at once (tick boxes, select allocate, add multiple job code "lines", it spreads the expense by %age e.g. 5 jobs->20% to each job code),

they then need to do a second step to fill the compulsory field with any job code.  It won't see that the allocation is already satisfying the compulsory condition.

Please help.

thanks

8 REPLIES 8
KevinD
Community Manager
Community Manager

@MichaelT could you possibly take a screenshot so I can get a visual? That would help tremendously. 

Thank you,
Kevin Dorsey
SAP Concur Community Manager
Did this response answer your question? Be sure to select “Accept as Solution” so your fellow community members can be helped by it as well.
MichaelT

allocating to 2x job codes (..21 and ..22) and picking YES it's job related

MichaelT_1-1621305798662.png

back at the expense screen: 

alert at the top about compulsory field.

MichaelT_2-1621305880258.png

...and at the bottom, the fields themselves not reflecting the allocation already done and saved.

MichaelT_3-1621305966176.png

KevinD
Community Manager
Community Manager

@MichaelT allocating an expense does not auto-populate the required fields. You need to fill out these fields first, then use the allocation option to split the expense. In your example you have the expense allocated to two jobs, the compulsory fields can only display one item in that field. So, how would the system know which of the two jobs to populate into these fields? 

Give this a try and let me know how it works for you. 

Thank you,
Kevin Dorsey
Did this response answer your question? Be sure to select “Accept as Solution” so your fellow community members can be helped by it as well.
MichaelT

Thank you for reviewing.  Yes my staff are forced to do this redundant step, that's what I'm trying to eliminate by asking on the forum.

You: how would the system know which of the two jobs to populate into these fields?

Answer to your question: Because the allocation IS  the data for those fields, so it should use the allocation to populate them.

Perhaps best to answer with another question: If I fill the compulsory fields then do the allocation, which is correct the single job number in the field or the allocation to multiple job numbers ?   How can the two states co-exist?

KevinD
Community Manager
Community Manager

@MichaelT I understand what you are saying. The way the system is designed is data copies down. In the Concur system there are 4 levels; Employee Level, Expense Report Header Level, Expense Entry Level and the Allocation Level. Think of it has a hierarchy. Data can copy down the hierarchy, not up the hierarchy. So, if I was assigned a Job number as my default job number on my employee profile, that default number can copy down to every report I create, every entry I create and to each allocation. 

Allocations are not always required and/or necessary so it isn't a function that will then populate a field on the entry level. 

Also, the way your Job field is configured it is a drop down list. Drop down lists can only have one selection in them. If the allocations were to populate this job field, it would then be trying to put two or more selections into a field that can only hold one selection. 

Since your site is configured to require Is Job Related and Job Number, it is forcing the user to enter one job initially and then do the allocations. There are creative ways to get around this to alleviate the extra or redundant step. 

I would suggest reaching out to the person at your company that is the site administrator and bring up this topic to see if they are open to coming up with a way to make entering job numbers a few less clicks for the user. 

I hope my explanation makes sense. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thank you,
Kevin Dorsey
MichaelT

you: suggest reaching out to the person at your company that is the site administrator 

I am the site admin.

I've done extensive trial and error on the job number setup (balancing requirements of users and our ERP's API) and not solved this.

You: Allocations are not always required and/or necessary 

Can I make at least one allocation Required ?

though I'm reluctant because there's a balance between many one-off expenses (simpler for users to process on one screen) and big time saver using allocations for the many-expenses-across-many-jobs situation 

KevinD
Community Manager
Community Manager

@MichaelT to answer your question, yes you can make allocations required. I do understand your reluctance, but maybe use an audit rule to require the allocation. That way you can create conditions that will make the allocation required and if the expense doesn't meet those conditions, the system will not require the allocation. 

It is difficult to give you a concrete answer since I do not know all your company's business requirements. 

How long has your company been using Concur? 

Thank you,
Kevin Dorsey
MichaelT

@KevinD wrote:

@MichaelT to answer your question, yes you can make allocations required. I do understand your reluctance, but maybe use an audit rule to require the allocation. That way you can create conditions that will make the allocation required and if the expense doesn't meet those conditions, the system will not require the allocation. 

thanks, we might try that, though it may create more clicks for the one-offs

@KevinD wrote:

How long has your company been using Concur? 

3 years now. I suppose in the early days users were processing each expense individually. As they get familiar with processing a whole trip at once they are looking to reduce clicks that seem redundant.