cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lemster9
Occasional Member - Level 1

Hotel pre-stay deposit charge

I was charged by the hotel with an arbitrary amount as a deposit before I stayed, so this is a separate charge on my expense report.  My company does not have a category for such a deposit.  If I select lodging, the amount will does equal any of the other charges on the final hotel bill, so I can't just leave one of those charges off.  How should I categorize this fee?

On the final hotel bill, I must itemize all of the actual room charges and taxes, so the final amount itemized exceeds the payment by the original deposit charge.  I tried adding a negative amount equal to the deposit, but this is not accepted. 

I tried to categorize the deposit both as a general lodging amount as well as a miscellaneous amount and then categorize the negative amount on the final hotel charge accordingly, but this didn't help.  Any ideas? 

1 Solution
Solution
lemster9

I found a coworker that suggested I itemize the deposit as lodging and include a screen shot of the credit card charge as the receipt.  For the final hotel charge it got interesting.  I took the remaining room balance, subtracted the deposit and then divided that by the number of nights as the nightly charge.  There is a check box that allows you to not break apart the room and taxes, so in the end this worked. 

I never would have figured this out because the basic instructions and travel policy specifically cites accurate itemization of the taxes.  What's worse was that each night (4 total) was a different rate due to various reasons. 

I hope this helps for others.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
KevinD
Community Manager
Community Manager

@lemster9 looks like you figured this out. Correct? Could you post what you did to resolve the issue as this might help someone else in the future. 🙂

Thank you,
Kevin Dorsey
SAP Concur Community Manager
Did this response answer your question? Be sure to select “Accept as Solution” so your fellow community members can be helped by it as well.
Solution
lemster9

I found a coworker that suggested I itemize the deposit as lodging and include a screen shot of the credit card charge as the receipt.  For the final hotel charge it got interesting.  I took the remaining room balance, subtracted the deposit and then divided that by the number of nights as the nightly charge.  There is a check box that allows you to not break apart the room and taxes, so in the end this worked. 

I never would have figured this out because the basic instructions and travel policy specifically cites accurate itemization of the taxes.  What's worse was that each night (4 total) was a different rate due to various reasons. 

I hope this helps for others.

mfabiano
New Member - Level 1

Sorry Kevin but this isn't accurate or correct, to be documenting expenses this way. There is no field for a pre-deposit. That's the root cause.  SAP really can't add this? It's an old issue. We shouldn't be doing work arounds for common expense items.

pbbarley

So how do we pay the 2 claims, I have the exact same issue.  I stayed at a hotel for 3 nights total of 420 euros but the hotel billed me 1 euro for a holding deposit and 419 euros for the main stay but I cant add the 1 euro onto the 419 bill