cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jan2
Occasional Member - Level 1

HMRC scale rates - meal deductions

Hi,

we want to reimburse our UK travelers according to HMRC scale rates. In the HMRC framework, meal lump sums depend on the duration of the trip (not whether it is an overnight trip). However, in Concur, lump sums are always linked to a specific day.

E.g. for a trip from 01/01 1pm to 02/01 5pm, the traveler is entitled to the 24-hours rate. In Concur, this rate would be linked to the departure day. If the trip was to Berlin (Germany), the traveler would get 72€ for 01/01 and 0€ for 02/01.

However, when the company pays for meals on 02/01 and the traveler would enter this in Concur correctly, there would not be a deduction since there is no allowance linked to 02/01. To get the correct amount, the traveler would have to enter the deduction for 01/01.  We strongly dislike this "workaround". Furthermore, given the example mentioned above, the company could provide lunch on 01/01 AND an 02/01. This, however, cannot be considered with the workaround at all.

The best solution I could think of would be to allow negative daily allowances so that the deduction entered on 02/01 would have the desired effect.

What is your best practice for a correct implementation of the HMRC scale rates?

Thank you,

Jan

3 REPLIES 3
MelanieT
SAP Concur Employee
SAP Concur Employee

@Jan2 Hello!!  Thanks for reaching out. Within the SAP Concur system, the rules for limits are based on a Daily, Weekly, Monthly, and Yearly limit.  Unfortunately, there isn't a way to track by hours.  We can see what other companies might be doing and wait for others input as well.  

You can put in a Suggestion for the system to do this by going to the Customer Influence Website.

Remember to tag me if you respond or feel free to mark this post as Solved if you don't have further questions or comments. To tag me on your response, you click the Reply button, first thing to type is @. This should bring up the username of the person you are replying to.

Thank you,
Melanie Taufen
SAP Concur Community Moderator
Did this response answer your question? Be sure to select “Accept as Solution” so your fellow community members can be helped by it as well.
Jan2
Occasional Member - Level 1

Hi @MelanieT,

do you ave any best practice recommendation? Since the UK market is quite large, I would assume that this is an issue for many of your customers.

Thanks,

Jan

MelanieT
SAP Concur Employee
SAP Concur Employee

@Jan2 Hi Jan 🙂  I don't have a best practices, but can say that I see a lot of Daily Limit Meal rules, so that a user cannot go over a certain amount each day.  It really just depends on what your business needs are.  

Remember to tag me if you respond or feel free to mark this post as Solved if you don't have further questions or comments. To tag me on your response, you click the Reply button, first thing to type is @. This should bring up the username of the person you are replying to.

Thank you,
Melanie Taufen
SAP Concur Community Moderator
Did this response answer your question? Be sure to select “Accept as Solution” so your fellow community members can be helped by it as well.