cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aryeh2b
Occasional Member - Level 2

Custom Workflow Adjustment

I currently have a custom workflow.   One of the steps is related to limit approval so when an invoice approver exceeds his/her limit, the invoice gets routed to his/her manager.  If the manager approves it, even if it exceeds  their approval threshold, it is proceeding to the next step.   How do i add multiple levels where if a manager exceeds his/her limit the same rule is applied and it goes to the next manager.   I would need 3 levels as that would never be exceeded.    Here is my current workflow:

Aryeh2b_0-1728576695842.png

Thank you

Aryeh

4 REPLIES 4
PoojaKumatkar
Routine Member - Level 3

Hi @Aryeh2b ,

As per my understanding you are looking for limit based approval workflow. I would suggest to use cost object approval workflow where you can define approver wise limit.

Follow below steps:

1. Copy default workflow and add cost object approver step into it. On 1st page of workflow under Cost Object Hierarchy Type: select Limit.

PoojaKumatkar_0-1728628726435.png

Once it is added, workflow steps will look as below:

PoojaKumatkar_1-1728628794511.png

2.  Define feature hierarchy - you can select source list as per your requirement. Meaning, if you want to define approvers based on department/project then you can select org structure under source list. as shown below:

PoojaKumatkar_2-1728628920619.png

3. Once feature hierarchy is configured, org hierarchy will appear under workflow, cost object approver list where you can define your limit wise approvers as show below:

PoojaKumatkar_3-1728628982793.png

Here, each department (lower node) has same limit $15000, above that function has $25000 limit, company code has $35000 limit.

How it works:

Let's say you are creating invoice with 2 line items as below:

Scenario 1: 

line 1: audit expense - department 400013 - $ 10000

Line 2: bank fees expense - department 400013 - $2000

Invoice Total = $12000 

Workflow - in this case since invoice total (department 400013 total) is within limit that is within $15000, your invoice will go to Approver1's approver only. Here Approver 1 can approve invoices upto $15000.

Scenario 2: 

line 1: audit expense - department 400013 - $ 10000

Line 2: bank fees expense - department 400013 - $10000

Invoice Total = $20000 

Workflow - in this case since invoice total (department 400013 total) is exceeding $15000, your invoice will go to 1st Approver1's approval and then it will go for upper node approver that is approver defined under Operations who has limit up to $25000. So, approver can approve any invoice greater than $15000 and less or equal $25000 limit.

Note - in cost object approval workflow, system will always look for allocation or line item level total. If invoice is allocated to multiple cost objects then based on cost object total amount it will go to the respective cost object approver.

Another way:

Lets say you want to define all 3 approvers at department level only. Then you can also define it as shown below where each approver will have different limit. and they can approver invoice which are under their authorization limit. It will work same as explained above.

PoojaKumatkar_4-1728630416860.png

Thanks!
Regards,
Pooja
jps
Occasional Member - Level 1

TKS!

Aryeh2b
Occasional Member - Level 2

Thank you, Pooja for the elaborate response above.   A few quick things:

1. Does this work in the standard version of Concur? We are not on professional. 

2. We have some other steps included in our current workflow that allow a custom field on the vendor manager page to allow certain  steps in the workflow to be skipped, would the above interfere with that?

3. We have already setup a $ approval threshold on each individuals page, so i am not sure grouping at this point would be easier. 

Thank you again for your time and help.  

Aryeh

jps
Occasional Member - Level 1

Pooja one question, let's take your  Scenario 2 as an example:

- If we set up multiple Approvers with the same threshold let's say there are 5 approvers with 25k approval limit, does system pick up randomly the approver or is there an predefined order then?

Tks!!