cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
administr8
Occasional Member - Level 2

auto-population

Is there a way to auto-populate an existing field for the user such as "business purpose" based off of the expense type? 

1 Solution
Solution
KevinD
Community Manager
Community Manager

@administr8 see my responses in red below. 

I was told previously during our integration that this be done through connected lists? There was a language barrier and it was out of scope for the employee that runs our connector so my intention may have been misunderstood; But exploring the option, it seems the primary objective of connected lists are to show certain  conditional field-filling options, but not populate. Yes, this is the intent of connected lists.  I am wondering, if a connected list only contains one component will this work? EX:  levels being  1. if Expense type is XX, then (2. Business purpose is XX (only one selection available), and 3. Vendor selection (normal list selection)). This could work, but since Expense Type and Business Purpose are default fields, not custom, you cannot tie list items to them. I believe the Type for these fields cannot be edited. 

Also, I am wondering if this can be done using Forms and Fields, using a specific form for each necessary expense type that uses a "constant" field of the desired info? For expense type cost of media, for example - would have its own form on which the field "business purpose"  would always be constant "Internal Media".? I'm not 100% sure, but you would probably need to create a custom field named Business Purpose (or maybe Business Reason, so as not to be confused with Business Purpose). 

Lastly, 

I know that conditional fields are exclusive to custom fields - and it seems connected lists are as well - Could I create a custom field using the same name as "business purpose", and use it in replace of the system "business purpose" on the forms for these expense types, and still maintain functionality with our Netsuite connector? See my previous response. 

Thank you,
Kevin Dorsey
SAP Concur Community Manager
Did this response answer your question? Be sure to select “Accept as Solution” so your fellow community members can be helped by it as well.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
KevinD
Community Manager
Community Manager

@administr8 I believe what you are asking is possible through use of what we call Validation Tables. Here is a setup guide for Validation Tables: https://www.concurtraining.com/customers/tech_pubs/Docs/_Current/SG_Exp/Exp_SG_Audit_Rules_Validatio...

Keep in mind that these can be a bit tricky and there may be some things that SAP Concur would have to do for you. With something like this, I would reach out to SAP Concur before trying to do. 

Thank you,
Kevin Dorsey
Did this response answer your question? Be sure to select “Accept as Solution” so your fellow community members can be helped by it as well.
administr8
Occasional Member - Level 2

Thank you for answering. I was told that I would need to purchase consulting hours or 1:1 training hours for personal help - and my CFO will have expected me to have mastered this during the Advanced Config. Training so I am reluctant to seek approval; cue my joining the group. I really appreciate the quick response. 

I was told previously during our integration that this be done through connected lists? There was a language barrier and it was out of scope for the employee that runs our connector so my intention may have been misunderstood; But exploring the option, it seems the primary objective of connected lists are to show certain  conditional field-filling options, but not populate. I am wondering, if a connected list only contains one component will this work? EX:  levels being  1. if Expense type is XX, then (2. Business purpose is XX (only one selection available), and 3. Vendor selection (normal list selection)).

Also, I am wondering if this can be done using Forms and Fields, using a specific form for each necessary expense type that uses a "constant" field of the desired info? For expense type cost of media, for example - would have its own form on which the field "business purpose"  would always be constant "Internal Media".?

Lastly, 

I know that conditional fields are exclusive to custom fields - and it seems connected lists are as well - Could I create a custom field using the same name as "business purpose", and use it in replace of the system "business purpose" on the forms for these expense types, and still maintain functionality with our Netsuite connector?

I apologize for the extensive inquiry.  Thanks!! 🙂

Solution
KevinD
Community Manager
Community Manager

@administr8 see my responses in red below. 

I was told previously during our integration that this be done through connected lists? There was a language barrier and it was out of scope for the employee that runs our connector so my intention may have been misunderstood; But exploring the option, it seems the primary objective of connected lists are to show certain  conditional field-filling options, but not populate. Yes, this is the intent of connected lists.  I am wondering, if a connected list only contains one component will this work? EX:  levels being  1. if Expense type is XX, then (2. Business purpose is XX (only one selection available), and 3. Vendor selection (normal list selection)). This could work, but since Expense Type and Business Purpose are default fields, not custom, you cannot tie list items to them. I believe the Type for these fields cannot be edited. 

Also, I am wondering if this can be done using Forms and Fields, using a specific form for each necessary expense type that uses a "constant" field of the desired info? For expense type cost of media, for example - would have its own form on which the field "business purpose"  would always be constant "Internal Media".? I'm not 100% sure, but you would probably need to create a custom field named Business Purpose (or maybe Business Reason, so as not to be confused with Business Purpose). 

Lastly, 

I know that conditional fields are exclusive to custom fields - and it seems connected lists are as well - Could I create a custom field using the same name as "business purpose", and use it in replace of the system "business purpose" on the forms for these expense types, and still maintain functionality with our Netsuite connector? See my previous response. 

Thank you,
Kevin Dorsey