cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
williamba
Occasional Member - Level 3

Split single expense as out-of-pocket/company paid

An employee recently booked a four night hotel stay with two nights company paid and two paid by the employee (personal stay).  Is there a way to allocate this 50/50 company paid & out-of-pocket in one expense instead of breaking into two hotel expenses.  

1 Solution
Solution
grodriguezproje
Super User
Super User

Hi @williamba 

You can use itemizations for this (better to use in this case not recurring). With the itemizations you can split the Expense type in 2 lines and one of them you can mark as personal. This feature is to breakdown an expense type so you don't need to create 2 separate Expense Types. (Please see the screenshots below)

grodriguezproje_0-1721914845872.png

grodriguezproje_1-1721914873554.pnggrodriguezproje_2-1721914919511.png

If i didn't understand correctly and you don't want to use itemizations and just place 1 Expense type for Hotel without using the itemization, is not possible, and i think what you mention needs to be handled directly from Finance, so you will have the posting like this:

Expense                                          100$

Employee Vendor account       (100$)

Then you need to reclassify 50$ from the expense in the way that you will reduce the Expense account and the Employee Vendor Account (This Finance will know how to do it, according with the policies you have in place within the company).

I hope this helps

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Solution
grodriguezproje
Super User
Super User

Hi @williamba 

You can use itemizations for this (better to use in this case not recurring). With the itemizations you can split the Expense type in 2 lines and one of them you can mark as personal. This feature is to breakdown an expense type so you don't need to create 2 separate Expense Types. (Please see the screenshots below)

grodriguezproje_0-1721914845872.png

grodriguezproje_1-1721914873554.pnggrodriguezproje_2-1721914919511.png

If i didn't understand correctly and you don't want to use itemizations and just place 1 Expense type for Hotel without using the itemization, is not possible, and i think what you mention needs to be handled directly from Finance, so you will have the posting like this:

Expense                                          100$

Employee Vendor account       (100$)

Then you need to reclassify 50$ from the expense in the way that you will reduce the Expense account and the Employee Vendor Account (This Finance will know how to do it, according with the policies you have in place within the company).

I hope this helps

williamba
Occasional Member - Level 3

Thanks @grodriguezproje.  This is just what I was looking to do and I appreciate your input here.  Have a good weekend, Will

DeanR
Frequent Member - Level 1

Each expense can only have one Payment Method, so if there were two separate payments to the hotel (one paid by company, one paid by the employee) then they would need to be separate expenses.  However, if the employee payment was for a personal stay and hence non-reimburseable then it shouldn't be submitted on an expense report at all.

HI @DeanR 

For Audit reason the invoice attached and the expense should have the same amount, then the part that it was a personal stay the employee can mark it as personal in the check box, and as you can see in the screenshot the employee will not be reimbursed for that part of the invoice 

DeanR
Frequent Member - Level 1

Hi @grodriguezproje 

Your screenshot shows a single payment by the employee to the hotel, to be itemized between reimbursable and personal (non-reimbursable).

I interpreted the initial post as there being two payments to the hotel - one paid by the company (e.g. corporate card) for the business portion of the stay, and one paid by the employee for their personal stay.  In this situation they need to be two expenses, but you would normally not bother with the out-of-pocket personal expense since there is no payment required to the company, corporate card nor employee.

Hi @DeanR 

In that case you are right! "Each expense can only have one Payment Method". In any case @williamba i believe in the comments thread you will have the answer to your question.