cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ThomasWeilacher
Occasional Member - Level 2

SAPConcur Expense, what about expensing the fuel for rental cars?

Hello Dears,
i rented a car the first time in my life at all and here for a business trip (before that i used my private car)and accordingly I am doing a SAP Expense the first time including a Rental Car (Hertz).
Now: I paid Hertz with the corporate credit card as per best practices - all good.
 But I also had to fill the tank with fuel again as it was when I picked it up - I paid Cash since I did not know whether to user the credit card or not. OK.
Is it correct to but both into the expense:
a) the rental itself, i.e. credit card transaction for the car
b) the fuel which i filled into the tank (should not be so important that i paid it cash - next time i think, i can
also use the credit card, i excused and explained i did for the first time in my life and simply didn`t know better).
In short: I add both into the expense: the Hertz credit card transaction AND ALSO my cash which i spent

for filling the tank again before bringing it back (with receipt of course). Or is the fuel even not being expensed at all? This cannot be - my colleague must be wrong.
Thank you a lot for helping me,
Thomas
(PS: background is : one colleague said with the credit card transaction everything is compensated, but this is firstly wrong and I cannot believe it. I have to bring back the car with the tank full, when i pick it up with the tank full, hence i have to pay for fuel for it. So I think my colleague is wrong. Thanks so much for giving me a light! Thomas)

2 Solutions
Solution
dlamont
Super User
Super User

Hi Thomas, couple of items to note, when a car is rented you can typically opt into returning it with a full tank (go to the fuel station) or elect the car rental agency to fill it - (if your company policy allows that), the agency should tell you the price per gal. on rental day.

That being said, IF the fuel is not on the company card, my suggestion is to make a copy of the receipt, circle the fuel cost, and submit that as a separtate cash transaction. Then circle the rental portion only on the original, and submit (if this is how company card expenses are handled at your company) without the fuel included in the transaction amount. 

DLamont

DLamont

View solution in original post

Solution
ThomasWeilacher

you are absolutely right DLamont! That is what I will do and that is hwat will work out fine. I explained in the comment, that i first time rented a car and i also understood the fuel policy. These i have to read in our policies what is best practice. Super! Thank you so much for your confirmation and help! Thomas

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Solution
dlamont
Super User
Super User

Hi Thomas, couple of items to note, when a car is rented you can typically opt into returning it with a full tank (go to the fuel station) or elect the car rental agency to fill it - (if your company policy allows that), the agency should tell you the price per gal. on rental day.

That being said, IF the fuel is not on the company card, my suggestion is to make a copy of the receipt, circle the fuel cost, and submit that as a separtate cash transaction. Then circle the rental portion only on the original, and submit (if this is how company card expenses are handled at your company) without the fuel included in the transaction amount. 

DLamont

DLamont
Solution
ThomasWeilacher

you are absolutely right DLamont! That is what I will do and that is hwat will work out fine. I explained in the comment, that i first time rented a car and i also understood the fuel policy. These i have to read in our policies what is best practice. Super! Thank you so much for your confirmation and help! Thomas