cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Diana1
Occasional Member - Level 2

Mileage allowance if greater than 50 miles using deduct functionality

Does the Deduct Commute functionality allow for a default/defined numerical setting/limit ?  Currently the "Deduct Commute"  functionality requires you to enter a home and office location and based on that distance the commute mileage is deducted.  Looking to implement changes whereby team members will only receive reimbursement if the total mileage incurred is greater than 50 miles per trip. The use of a deduct feature would greatly add in that process. 

If the current configuration does not allow that ( i.e. deduct mileage based on a numeric value) is there any developmental effort in place to allow?

Lastly what is the Mileage grid functionality?  Can you briefly explain please?

Appreciate your help and expertise, thank you kindly.

5 REPLIES 5
KevinD
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Diana1 So I understand you correctly, if I enter mileage and after the commute deduction if the mileage reads 50 miles or more, the employee will get reimbursed? Is that what you are looking to do? If so, I think you could create an audit rule that looks at the total calculated mileage and if it is less than 50, that expense entry would be flagged red.

As for the mileage grid, it is just a feature to allow users to enter in multiple mileage line items quickly and then add it to their report. It does not use the mileage calculator or the deduct commute option. 

Thank you,
Kevin Dorsey
SAP Concur Community Manager
Did this response answer your question? Be sure to select “Accept as Solution” so your fellow community members can be helped by it as well.
Diana1

Thank you.  Yes your understanding is correct. I was aware of the use of the audit rule. I am looking for additional functionality to limit the daily mileage reimbursement for only mileage incurred >50 miles per day.  Hence I thought the deduct commute function work aid? Please advise.

Can I have more details on the mileage grid - at least in this case - the user can deduct the mileage and only enter the amount in excess of 50, please advise.

Thank you again.

KevinD
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Diana1 Okay, I think I understand now, if user A drives 62 miles, they would only be reimbursed for 12 miles, is that correct? You only want to reimburse for whatever is over 50 miles. Right? I don't think Concur has the ability to look at the total miles entered, subtract 50 to get the reimbursable amount. However, the deduct commute could work, but this would require all users to enter in the same home and office location and it would have to be a route that is exactly 50 miles. That way whenever a user enters in mileage, the system would deduct 50 for the "commute" to give them the reimbursable mileage. 

For the mileage grid, I don't think I would recommend it for what you are trying to do. Also, this feature will be going away once all of our customers migrate to our NextGen User Interface. It is not a widely used function. I've been at Concur over 12 years and couldn't tell you the last customer who actually used the mileage grid. 

Thank you,
Kevin Dorsey
Did this response answer your question? Be sure to select “Accept as Solution” so your fellow community members can be helped by it as well.
Diana1

Thanks Kevin. I was looking for a cleaner, simpler approach in limiting the mileage reimbursement to greater than 50.  Is there any development efforts to enhance the mileage deduct functionality to a numeric value, in lieu of entering addresses?

From a brief look at the community forum, there appears to be interest in this topic especially since many companies are looking at alternative work/home based arrangements. 

KevinD
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Diana1 I have not heard anything about any changes to the deduction. I believe it is the way it is because it needs to be something that can have a different value for each individual user. Most companies, in my experience, do not require a deduction for commuting. There are some that do, but not too many. Also, since everyone's commute is different, the tool needs to be able to account for this. You can always submit a solution suggestion for a product enhancement. 

Thank you,
Kevin Dorsey