cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jfisher
Occasional Member - Level 1

How to break up expense after surpassing maximum allotment?

Hello,

My name is James Fisher and first time posting.  I am trying to submit an expense report for some work from home equipment that I purchased via Amazon last week.  We are given a specific allotment for reimbursement and I just barely went over the allotment permitted by my company that I work for.   I planned on paying the balance out of my own pocket as it is very minimal.  I tried to itemize the expense to only pay for what my maximum allotment is versus what the actual balance of the receipt / report is.  When I try to submit the report I get an error that prevents me from submitting the report saying "the expense report contains at least one itemized expense.  The sum of itemizations do not match the expense total.  Edit the itemized entries to make the required changes before submitting the report.".

Any ideas?  Thank you!

5 REPLIES 5
KevinD
Community Manager
Community Manager

@jfisher since this is an out of pocket expense, no need to itemize the expense. Delete your itemization. This will leave you with the original expense entry. Chang the amount to the amount you are allowed to submit. That should fix the issue. 

Thank you,
Kevin Dorsey
SAP Concur Community Manager
Did this response answer your question? Be sure to select “Accept as Solution” so your fellow community members can be helped by it as well.
jfisher

How do I change the amount?  It's grayed out for me even after deleting the itemization.

KevinD
Community Manager
Community Manager

@jfisher Okay, I took a look at your expense report. I see you paid for the expense on your corporate card, that's why you cannot change the amount. Here's what you do. Itemize the expense. On the first itemization, use the Work from home expense type. Enter the amount you are allowed to expense. Save that itemization. Add another itemization for the remaining amount. For the expense type you can use the same expense type. You will see a little checkbox labeled Personal Expense (do not reimburse). Check this box. Then save. That will account for the total amount of the charge and tell the system not to "reimburse" you for the overage amount. Then you can pay the card company directly for the amount you marked personal.

Give this a try and let me know if it works for you. 

Thank you,
Kevin Dorsey
Did this response answer your question? Be sure to select “Accept as Solution” so your fellow community members can be helped by it as well.
jfisher

Hi Kevin, appreciate your help through this.  I tried this and unfortunately it is still not allowing me to be able to submit the report due to the same error message saying my claim exceeds the policy limit.

KevinD
Community Manager
Community Manager

@jfisher I see. Well, you are going to need to reach out to your manager and ask what the best thing to do is. When it comes to specific company policies, I cannot do much about that. Because the total of the corporate card charge is over the limit, the system sees that and blocks submission. Not being an employee at your company, I cannot advise anything, unfortunately. My guess is that at a company the size of your company, someone else has probably come across this. Your manager is the best person to speak to about this to see what they advise.

Thank you,
Kevin Dorsey