cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cmakai
Routine Member - Level 2

How does your company handle reimbursement for mileage? Especially regarding WFH associates?

We have some associates hybrid, some WFH (work from home) and some work in the office/company location. We are trying to understand how to best define "business travel" when it comes to personal car mileage - and figure out what folks should be allowed to submit for.

Has anyone else implemented new policies since Covid? How are you defining business travel for personal car mileage? 

1 Solution
Solution
KevinD
Community Manager
Community Manager

@cmakai because the decision to reimburse employees for mileage lies solely with each company, we don't have any documentation that I know of to help define what constitutes business travel. However, I will say this...whatever you decide on, be sure it is written and provided to employees. That way they cannot come back and say, "show me where it says I cannot be reimbursed for this mileage". 

One other thing might be to use some custom fields on the Employee Profile to designate if an employee is WFH, Hybrid or in office. Then you can create audit rules to make sure employees are submitting mileage according to their designation and within policy.

Thank you,
Kevin Dorsey
SAP Concur Community Manager
Did this response answer your question? Be sure to select “Accept as Solution” so your fellow community members can be helped by it as well.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
KevinD
Community Manager
Community Manager

@cmakai one thing I have seen our customers do for mileage is allow their employees to be reimbursed if the employee drives to meet with a client/customer and if the employee drives to another company location/office to do business. 

Those are two scenarios I have seen. 

Thank you,
Kevin Dorsey
Did this response answer your question? Be sure to select “Accept as Solution” so your fellow community members can be helped by it as well.
cmakai
Routine Member - Level 2

@KevinD Is there anything anywhere that Concur would provide as a basis definition? Our VP is asking for "more detail"

cmakai
Routine Member - Level 2

@KevinD Is there anything we could use as an example (like for example, do businesses state "if you work from home, you deduct or don't deduct commute"?

Solution
KevinD
Community Manager
Community Manager

@cmakai because the decision to reimburse employees for mileage lies solely with each company, we don't have any documentation that I know of to help define what constitutes business travel. However, I will say this...whatever you decide on, be sure it is written and provided to employees. That way they cannot come back and say, "show me where it says I cannot be reimbursed for this mileage". 

One other thing might be to use some custom fields on the Employee Profile to designate if an employee is WFH, Hybrid or in office. Then you can create audit rules to make sure employees are submitting mileage according to their designation and within policy.

Thank you,
Kevin Dorsey