cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
leabolee
Occasional Member - Level 2

For expenses marked 'Personal - Do not reimburse', can we bring the charge back if already approved?

We have a process where if the employee does not pay for their personal charges on their corporate card, our company pays the card at a certain aging status. We just went live in the summer and our previous expense system was able to 'reverse' those charges so we can pull them into a report and get the report paid. Is there a way that Concur can do the same? I cannot seem to find a solution for this, thanks.

10 REPLIES 10
KevinD
Community Manager
Community Manager

@leabolee if the expense has been fully approved and the report it sits on is in a closed batch, then no, the expense cannot be pulled back. If the batch is not yet closed, the expense processor should be able to pull it out of the batch to get the charge reconciled. 

Thank you,
Kevin Dorsey
SAP Concur Community Manager
Did this response answer your question? Be sure to select “Accept as Solution” so your fellow community members can be helped by it as well.
leabolee

Thank you, Kevin. Yes, I have explored this too. But what happens when we need to pay the card? How do we create a payment file without the actual charge, in order to pay the card? 

KevinD
Community Manager
Community Manager

@leabolee I can't say for sure, but it depends on how your card is set up in SAP Concur. Do you happen to know if you set the card up as CBCP (Company Billed/Company Paid) or is it IBCP (Individual Billed/Individual Paid)? 

Thank you,
Kevin Dorsey
Did this response answer your question? Be sure to select “Accept as Solution” so your fellow community members can be helped by it as well.
leabolee

It is set up as IBCP. How do we pay the credit card company, if we cannot pull that charge, that was coded as Personal,  back into a report, to pay the card.

KevinD
Community Manager
Community Manager

@leabolee in my experience, you wouldn't pay the card company for a personal card charge, but it should be the responsibility of the card holder since they violated company policy. I know you don't want the there to be late charges and you want the card to have a zero balance, but the card is the employee's responsibility and is tied to their name and credit. Maybe communicate that to your employees so they know. I don't think you need the actual card charge to pay the bank what is owed. 

With the report being fully approved and the batch closed, you won't be able to get the transaction. How are you monitoring those that marked something personal, but haven't paid the card company yet? 

Thank you,
Kevin Dorsey
leabolee

What if an employee accidentally marked a charge as personal and the payment batch already went through. And the charge was for $5000.00. How do we bring that expense back into their Concur download and reverse the report. We cannot make the employee pay AMEX $5000.00 if it was truly business. Can we create a separate payment file? This is for IBCP card. For now, the solution we received is to tell the employee to pay AMEX then we create an OOP for them. This simply cannot be the only solution.

KevinD
Community Manager
Community Manager

@leabolee unfortunately unless you are using SAP ICS integration, there isn't a way to pull the report back once it has been fully approved and the batch closed out. Is your company using SAP ICS integration? 

If you aren't using ICS integration, then I know my answer isn't what you want to hear, but let me offer a suggestion of how to avoid the scenario you presented. 

What you can do is create an audit rule that is triggered by a user marking a company card charge as personal. You can make this a yellow exception warning to remind the user or make them think about what they accidentally did. You could also make the exception from the audit rule a red, hard-stop exception that would prevent the user from submitting. This audit rule could then have a condition that requires the user to provide a comment explaining why they marked a company card transaction as personal before it can be submitted. So, it forces further action which makes them either provide the details or uncheck the Personal Expense checkbox. 

I'd be curious to see how others here on the Community handle this situation. Maybe they have come up with a process.

Thank you,
Kevin Dorsey
leabolee

What is SAP IC Solution, can you provide me more details.

We already have the audit rule in place where the user has to enter a comment, unfortunately, this does not stop the employee from accidentally submitting an expense as personal. For example, an employee may have to submit a charge and credit but accidentally clicked the personal box, therefore we cannot send a payment to AMEX to apply the credit, leaving a large balance on the card. How do we bring that charge back so we can send the payment to AMEX. Is there something in the Concur Admin tools where we can 'release' a charge back into the employee's Concur account, even thought it has already been processed? Only for those marked as personal though.

KevinD
Community Manager
Community Manager

@leabolee here is a link regarding ICS: https://www.concurtraining.com/customers/tech_pubs/Integration/_CCC_SAP_Integrations.htm

@JessicaL do you have any experience with the scenario that @leabolee is discussing in this thread?

Thank you,
Kevin Dorsey
BLopez
Occasional Member - Level 3

Hi.  To me this probably depends on how your credit card company is paid.  It looks like you will have to make a separate payment to the bank or request the cardholder to make the payment and submit proof of payment to you.  

Our company has two programs, CBCP and IBCP.  For both programs, the company pays all credit card charges, even personal charges. I believe you can adjust your company settings to allow this. We require cardholders to submit a payroll deduction request to the company payroll analysts, (using an email template we set up and linked in the Company Notes) for the balance of the personal charges in their report; the cardholder has to attach a copy of the "sent" payroll deduction request to reports  that contain personal charges.   Company cards are not to be used for personal use so the "accidental" usage is small in number.

Hint for those who need to reconcile CBCP company charges against submitted expenses.  Our company set up a special "vendor" account to handle the account in our ERP system.  We post an internal credit memo and internal debit memo to the vendor account for the amount that will be withdrawn for the total of all expenses for the statement period.  Then as expenses are submitted, we set up our upload so that it segregates expenses by statement period and also  creates a debit entry for the "total" of processed expenses for each separate statement period that posts to the .  This process serves two purposes, one, it provides an amount that treasury can immediately clear against the bank withdrawal, then allows us to track on a daily basis the amount yet to be processed for each statement period.  This gives us a clear idea of when we should run reports to determine who has outstanding transactions and to follow up with the cardholder.  When all expenses are submitted for the statement period, a report is run in our ERP and provided to a staff member who can clear the items.  We always know the status of outstanding expenses and push to have over 90% completion of expenses by a preset deadline for the statement period.  We know exactly how much is outstanding for each statement period so we know exactly where to focus our attention.