Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Saikat
Occasional Member - Level 2

Expense Workflow queries

Hi Members,

I have 2 questions  :

1. If there are multiple expense types in a single expense report, is it possible to set different workflow mechanisms for each expense type.

Example - for Relocations - (HR(processor) ->Finance(another processor)) ; for Conveyance (Reporting manager ->HR ->Finance)

Is it possible to add both approval flows in a single expense report, if yes is the user able to see both approval flows while he is submitting the expense report.

2. There should be a different workflow for rejected claims - once rectified by the employee the same should come to the person who rejected the claim and it should not follow the original approval flow. For example , if a particular processor rejected it then resubmitted claim should go to that processor only and not the original steps like manager and then processor.

Can you please share your views on how we can resolve both of these cases. 

4 REPLIES 4
rohanpatil
Super User
Super User

Hi @Saikat 

One expense report will have one workflow as per configuration of the policy used when submitting.

1. If you want, you can keep both approval steps in the workflow and skip steps based on expense types. All approvers will see all expenses.
  2. Normally, we can configure skip steps. However, I am not sure if we can consider past approvers. Additionally, I will discourage the set up as employee can change essentially the entire claim when its sent back to them. This is why the entire approval chain is executed again. If needed, you should instead look into partial approvals which sends back only rejected line items as a new claim.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Rohan

Saikat
Occasional Member - Level 2

Hi Rohan @rohanpatil , thanks for your answer. Actually these are our client requirements.

1. They want different workflow itself for different people, like for example if there is a relocation expense then they want that to go only to HR and Finance teams and not to direct approvers, so the approver should not see that line item itself while approving. And also user should be able to see both the approval in timeline.

2. For this user should be able to submit the new report and that should go to only the person who rejected and not the entire workflow. Means if a processor rejected it then after resubmission , the approver should not see that rather the processor should see this.

I actually suggested skip steps but their requirement is something that is not helping with skip steps. Even I have never seen this happening earlier. Hence need advise if any of this can be achieved. 

Hi @Saikat 

You are welcome

1. Different workflow = Different policies - Activate more than one policy with the respective expense types. Then these can be designed as per your needs. Employees select the policy at the expense report header when they create an expense report
  2. This is the scenario that I covered earlier. Not possible to send directly.

Best regards,

Rohan

KevinD
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Saikat I'll chime in here as well. See my responses in red.

1. They want different workflow itself for different people, like for example if there is a relocation expense then they want that to go only to HR and Finance teams and not to direct approvers, so the approver should not see that line item itself while approving. And also user should be able to see both the approval in timeline. For this to happen, you would need to add to the workflow all approval steps. Then, create a skip step based on the expense type. However, if you do this, if there are other expenses on the report that require the default manager approval, you are going to have issues. If the expense type (i.e. relocation) is supposed to be submitted on its own report, then this could work. Also, what @rohanpatil suggest could work, but then you run into the issue I just described if the report has a mix of expenses that require default manager approval. Then you would need to create audit rules to prevent certain expense types to be submitted on a report with a certain policy. What happens when employees choose the wrong policy? They get frustrated and confused on what to do. I think the easiest option would be to configure the site to not allow the expense types that only need HR/Finance approval to be mixed in on the same report as expenses that would require approval from the default approver. I guess you can present the option to your customer and see what they have you do. Also, there isn't any way to prevent a default approver from seeing a line item on a report. 

2. For this user should be able to submit the new report and that should go to only the person who rejected and not the entire workflow. Means if a processor rejected it then after resubmission , the approver should not see that rather the processor should see this. I will echo something @rohanpatil mentioned. If a manager approves and expense report and then the Expense Processor rejects/send the report back, it really shouldn't skip the manager approval. If the user made drastic changes to the report, shouldn't the manager approve those expenses as the report is not the same as it was upon first submission? This is how the system is designed, so you cannot skip approvers for reports that are sent back.

Thank you,
Kevin Dorsey
SAP Concur Community Manager
Did this response answer your question? Be sure to select “Accept as Solution” so your fellow community members can be helped by it as well.