Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Harsha
Super User
Super User

Exception Approval

Hello All,

Our company is implementing Concur. We have created audit rules to identify exceptions and some of these exceptions can be overridden when approved by a senior executive in our company. I am unable to setup this approval routing in Concur. 

Our current approval workflow is Employee>Manager>AP>Payment. In case of exception, I would like the approval workflow to be Employee>Manager>Senior Executive>AP>Payment.

Please let me know how do I set up this approval workflow.

Thank you in advance

Harsha

1 Solution
Solution
Harsha
Super User
Super User

@jmr101 @KevinD Thank you for the updates. I spoke with our Concur implementation manager and they are looking into it. As both of you mentioned exception level 99 cannot be submitted. We decided to use exception code 50 for exception approval. 

The implementation manager is currently looking into workflow as we need additional layer of approval in the event an employee allocates their expense to another cost center for which their direct manager do not have approval authority. I have mentioned the workflow path below when an expense is submitted with exception and employee manager do have have approval authority for the cost center selected.

Employee > Employee manager > Cost Center Manager > Exception Approver > AP > Payment.

Thank you,

Harsha

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
KevinD
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Harsha Is it a specific exception that will cause the extra approval or are there multiple exceptions that will cause the Senior Executive to have to approve the report? 

Thank you,
Kevin Dorsey
SAP Concur Community Manager
Did this response answer your question? Be sure to select “Accept as Solution” so your fellow community members can be helped by it as well.

Hi Kevin,

Any exception set at level 99 can be overridden with senior executive approval. So it is for all exceptions.

Thank you,

Harsha

KevinD
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Harsha I'm sending you a private message. 

Thank you,
Kevin Dorsey
Did this response answer your question? Be sure to select “Accept as Solution” so your fellow community members can be helped by it as well.
Orit_Dor
Routine Member - Level 1

This  can help you

under the step rule >add a condition for the exception code

under Eule Action> add a skip step

so - if there is no exception the step will be skipped 

workflow1.JPG

KevinD
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Orit_Dor the issue is @Harsha wants 99 level exceptions to be overridden, but an approver cannot see 99 level exceptions because they block the user from submitting. 

Thank you,
Kevin Dorsey
Orit_Dor
Routine Member - Level 1

correct 99 exception can not be submitted.... 

Thank you @Orit_Dor . This is helpful.

jmr101
Occasional Member - Level 3

We have something similar - our normal workflow is just line manager, but certain exceptions require approval by the cost center owner. We use an exception value of 75 for these exceptions - so they don't block the report from submitting. Then in the workflow we have the cost object approver step (after line manager) which is set to skip if the report contains no exceptions >= 75.

Hope that helps,

James

KevinD
Community Manager
Community Manager

@jmr101 @Harsha I spoke with a colleague about this issue. His recommendation is exactly what you mentioned. It is probably the fastest and least complicated option for needing an extra approval. 

Well done James. 

Thank you,
Kevin Dorsey
Solution
Harsha
Super User
Super User

@jmr101 @KevinD Thank you for the updates. I spoke with our Concur implementation manager and they are looking into it. As both of you mentioned exception level 99 cannot be submitted. We decided to use exception code 50 for exception approval. 

The implementation manager is currently looking into workflow as we need additional layer of approval in the event an employee allocates their expense to another cost center for which their direct manager do not have approval authority. I have mentioned the workflow path below when an expense is submitted with exception and employee manager do have have approval authority for the cost center selected.

Employee > Employee manager > Cost Center Manager > Exception Approver > AP > Payment.

Thank you,

Harsha