cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dlamont
Super User
Super User

Delegate Approver - multiple for one manager

Professional Edition.  We have an officer who has a delegate approver for all reports coming to him for approval.  However we've hired another person under him whose expenses need to be approved by a different department head.  Our records (approvers, user fields, etc.) import from our payroll system each night, so it isn't possible to change the approver on the import as that would require the payroll approver to change as well.  

I don't see where it is possible to set up a delegate approver for this one person.  Is there another option or suggestion on how to do this - maybe from the employee's record instead of the approver?  The only thing I see from the employee side is setting up someone else as a temp approver for them. 

Thanks,

DLamont
1 Solution
Solution
KevinD
Community Manager
Community Manager

@dlamont you are correct, they all three would receive the emails and would technically be able to approve all reports. However, since they can see the name of the person that submitted the report, I would hope they wouldn't approve anything from someone they shouldn't be approving. Delegates can be opted out of receiving the approval emails, but they would just need to make sure to go into the account of who they delegate for as part of their daily or weekly cadence to check and see if there are reports they need to approve.

Thank you,
Kevin Dorsey
SAP Concur Community Manager
Did this response answer your question? Be sure to select “Accept as Solution” so your fellow community members can be helped by it as well.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
KevinD
Community Manager
Community Manager

@dlamont I'm not sure I follow...you hired someone under the officer or under the officer's delegate? 

If the new hire's expenses need to be approved by a different department head, why not just assign that different department head as the default approver? 

Is the issue that you already have the new hire assigned an approver via the payroll system import? 

Thank you,
Kevin Dorsey
Did this response answer your question? Be sure to select “Accept as Solution” so your fellow community members can be helped by it as well.

The new hire's payroll system manager is different than their Concur approver.  Payroll only supports one approver, and payroll feeds the import to Concur.  So the manager is incorrect.  The incorrect manager already has a delegate approver assigned to them, but this delegate approver is different than the approver for the new hire.  So I can't assign the correct approver as a delegate to her payroll manager (who is in Concur as an approver) since a delegate is already assigned. Does that make sense?  Hard to explain.  

DLamont
KevinD
Community Manager
Community Manager

@dlamont I'm not gonna lie, that is hard to follow and I read it twice. 

Does the Payroll System Manager do any other approving for the employee for things outside of SAP Concur?

As far as delegates, a user can add as many delegates to their profile as they need. So, in your scenario, just because the incorrect manager as one approving delegate on their profile, you could add a second approving delegate to this person who would be the correct approver for the new hire. 

Does that make sense? 🙂

Thank you,
Kevin Dorsey

Yes the Payroll System Manager approves other items outside of Concur.  

I see I can add additional delegates, but will that mean both delegates get all emails and can approve all reports?  So for instance, Users, Kim, John, James all import with the approver Greg.  His delegate approver, Robin should only approve Kim & John.  The delegate approver Shane, should only approve James.  Looks like both delegate approvers will get emails for all 3 users and be able to approve all three users?  I don't see how the Workflow will be able to segregate?

Maybe I am not seeing something?

DLamont
Solution
KevinD
Community Manager
Community Manager

@dlamont you are correct, they all three would receive the emails and would technically be able to approve all reports. However, since they can see the name of the person that submitted the report, I would hope they wouldn't approve anything from someone they shouldn't be approving. Delegates can be opted out of receiving the approval emails, but they would just need to make sure to go into the account of who they delegate for as part of their daily or weekly cadence to check and see if there are reports they need to approve.

Thank you,
Kevin Dorsey