cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jessek21
Occasional Member - Level 3

Concur reporting Integration with Tableau

Has anyone linked Concur to Tableau? How did you do it?

Should we use a data warehouse? I can schedule CSV reports, but I am not sure on how to automatically upload those to say Azure. Any ideas / walkthroughs?

Web ADI connector? Can you customize the data being sent? 

Thanks!

9 REPLIES 9
TRedman
SAP Concur Employee
SAP Concur Employee

Cognos, the tool which power the Intelligence product is not intended to be used as an extract tool.  While you can produce csv file with the data elements you need, you are limited to UTF-8 format.  Most programs to accept a data file like this would require UTF-16 format, which Cognos cannot produce.  Also, because Intelligence is based on a nightly archive, not real time data, there are some limitations and restrictions you should be aware of before creating this file using intelligence.  

An alternative option would be to create a custom extract file.  However, this is somethign that can only be produced using the assistance of Concur, and there are additional fees included.  

Either option, I would suggest logging a support case and speaking with resources in the Reporting Services and Web Services team to weigh all options to find the right solution for you.  

Tiffany Redman, Senior Product Manager, Data and Analytics
DavidW
Routine Member - Level 1

Yes! We followed the Tableau integration guide and it is awesome - took us less than 1 hour to complete/validate/confirm the results.

We use these reports with our Tableau users and leadership. Everyone else gets the Cognos reports. Since Tableau is a Concur customer (at least that is what I was told), it was a perfect match!

Our process:

1) Concur Cognos report(s) run with an attachment which is an excel file (we use the standard Concur reports). These are run daily. 

2) The excel from #1 is e-mailed to a generic user that has a process/Job which extracts the excel to a shared drive. Based on the Subject line of the e-mail, the process/job knows its Concur and puts it into a Concur-Tableau folder.

3) Tableau uses the shared drive folder as a data source for Concur reporting.

4) The standard Concur Tableau process/set up then reads it, etc.

jessek21

Hi David,

Do you have that integration guide?

On #2 - is that a email account or Tableau user account?

Thanks!

PedroLimon
New Member - Level 1

Hi David,

Great work. Do you happen to have a link or able to share the Tableau guide with the group? 

Pedro 

mdair
Occasional Member - Level 1

David,

Where did you get the integration guide? I cannot seem to locate it.

Thank You!

jfrost

Just wondering if you are still using this approach (since your original reply is from 2018).  We are looking to do the same at our university and am interested in learning more.

James2010

Last week I wrote a Cognos report with all of the fields I wanted and downloaded it to an Excel data file.  I connected that to Tableau and it works fine.

chrisboth
Occasional Member - Level 2

Good to hear this works well with Tabeleau as we are looking to do this as well.  I'm trying to decide if buying the extract service is a better long term solution.  The team here wants to have a touch free process.  Seems we can get close by your accounts just building and scheduling a report.  Has anyone here had challenges or service outages that caused any issues so far?

KrunalLathiya

I followed the below process mentioned by the community user to integrate Concur with Tableau.

1) Concur Cognos report(s) run with an attachment, which is an excel file (we use the standard Concur reports). These are run daily. 

2) The excel from #1 is e-mailed to a generic user that has a process/Job which extracts the excel to a shared drive. Based on the subject line of the e-mail, the process/job knows its Concur and puts it into a Concur-Tableau folder.

3) Tableau uses the shared drive folder as a data source for Concur reporting.

4) The standard Concur Tableau process/set up then reads it, etc.

And yes, I had success.

Thanks for the help.

Best Regards,