cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
inwaogwugwu
Occasional Member - Level 1

Concur file 305 import error

Hello All,

I received below error while loading Concur 305 Employee file. The record is for the only Japanese employee:

Field ‘first_name’ contained one or more invalid characters.

Please assist

10 REPLIES 10
cesnjuli
Occasional Member - Level 3

Are there any special characters in the name? Is encoding correct? Are you sure that there are no Space in from of the name? 

inwaogwugwu

There are special characters in the name, but there is no space before the name.

Thanks

cesnjuli

And that special character is which character?

inwaogwugwu

This is a Japanese employee and all the First name are special characters.

cesnjuli

Hmm.. I assume by special characters you mean  Japanese letters, which is not correct.

These are special characters I had in mind:

" !"#$%&'()*+,-./:;<=>?@[\]^_`{|}~"

inwaogwugwu

Yes. They are japanese characters.

cesnjuli

Then start with checking if file encoding is correct.

That's what Concur is saying in documentation:

if importing double-byte characters (Chinese, Japanese, etc.), the import file must be UTF-8 (Unicode) encoded; otherwise ANSI encoding is sufficient.

Then in addition I found the following comment:

The Client assembles the import data file, formatting it according to the specifications in this document. The import data
file specifications are as follow:
• Format Type: Comma Separated Value, UTF-8 with BOM
• Default Field Delimiter: Comma (or support for Pipe, but only by contacting SAP Concur implementation or
support teams to enable this delimiter type)
• Enclosing Character: To "escape" a reserved character, such as a slash, use a quotation mark, for example: "/"
• Record Delimiter: CRLF

and obviously all special character  % [ # ! * & ( ) ~ ` ' { ^ } \ | / ? > < , ; : " + = ] cannot be used in Login ID field.

Try  to load the list without those special characters first and add then after upload manually if encoding is correct.

inwaogwugwu

Hello,

I will try these steps and get back to you. Thanks.

cesnjuli is correct: the import file must be UTF-8 (Unicode) encoded.  

In my experience, I had to work with LATAM and European names and the encoding should be correct.  Keep in mind the CTE login does not accept special characters. 

Try to change/correct the names with just a couple of users at a time to update the login or email fields in the import file. 

Maria Steen
seba563
New Member - Level 1

Hi, to mport all the files in Concur, we use an application called Nitby and it makes all the controls and the file conversion. It can be a solution for you as well.