cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jcomeau
New Member - Level 1

Can I set Payment Type default to Company Paid not Cash?

Can I set Payment Type default to Company Paid not Cash?

19 REPLIES 19
KevinD
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Jcomeau yes you can do this. The process to do this depends on what type of Concur configuration you are on. We have a Standard and a Professional. Do you know which you are on? 

If you aren't sure how to tell, from the SAP Concur home screen, mouse over Administration. If you see "Expense Settings" in the drop down, you are on Standard. If you see "Company" and "Expense" or "Expense Admin" you are on professional. 

Let me know which version you are on, then I can assist you. 🙂

Thank you,
Kevin Dorsey
SAP Concur Community Manager
Did this response answer your question? Be sure to select “Accept as Solution” so your fellow community members can be helped by it as well.
barbgasafehaven
Occasional Member - Level 1

we are on the professional version

@barbgasafehaven and @Jcomeau sorry for the late response. See my screenshot below on how to do this. Keep in mind a couple of things:

1. You might not have permission to update Group Configurations. It all depends on your administrative access.
  2. Setting the default payment type can cause issues for users where they forget to change the payment type from Company Paid to what it needs to be. This will only affect Out of Pocket expenses. Corp card charges will default to the Corp Card payment type.
  3. The second screenshot allows for mapping a payment type (Company Paid) to travel segments. This will only work if you are using Concur Travel and works best if you have a Ghost or BTA Card. 

Company Paid.png

Travel_Segments_Payment_Type.png

Thank you,
Kevin Dorsey
Did this response answer your question? Be sure to select “Accept as Solution” so your fellow community members can be helped by it as well.
lorivy

Kevin, I have the same question.  Appear to be on Standard version.

KevinD
Community Manager
Community Manager

@lorivy before I answer, are you trying to set certain expenses to default to Company Paid or just have Company Paid set as the default for everything? 

Thank you,
Kevin Dorsey
lorivy

Where the Payment Type dropdown defaults to Cash, we'd like for it to be the one credit card we have loaded.  (So I guess the 2nd part of your question.) 

KevinD
Community Manager
Community Manager

@lorivy Does your company import corporate card transactions? If so, then this isn't necessary. Corporate card transactions will come in with the appropriate payment type and will override what you have set as the default. This setting is what you want the default payment type to be for expenses that users manually create. 

Does this make sense? Also, when you set the default payment type to Company Paid, what happens if the user paid out of pocket and did not remember to change the Payment Type? They might not get their reimbursement. This happens a lot because since the Payment Type field will auto-populated, a lot of users will gloss over it. 

Just putting in my two cents from 12 years of experience working here. 🙂

Thank you,
Kevin Dorsey
lorivy

We do not import transactions.  And not terribly worried about the last question because we're a relatively small bunch - but definitely appreciate the expertise.  

The screenshot you sent, is that applicable to us, a Standard user?

KevinD
Community Manager
Community Manager

@lorivy The screenshots I posted do not apply to you. There is a different way to assign payment types to travel segments in Standard. However, it won't apply to you if you are not using Concur Travel. 

So, do you have a lot of expenses that are company paid? I'm just curious as to why you want to use this payment type as the default. 🙂

Thank you,
Kevin Dorsey
lorivy

We're not using Travel.  So I guess we're stuck here.  99% of the expenses are company-paid, I guess that's why the salesmen are asking to change the default.  Thanks so much for your time, Kevin!

KevinD
Community Manager
Community Manager

@lorivy I'm curious, how are 99% of expenses company paid? Are your sales people making their business purchases on some sort of company credit card or are they making these purchases in some other way? 

I'm only asking because having 99% of business expenses as Company Paid is not very common, in my experience. It may just be a difference in how you and I use the term Company Paid. 

Can you clarify this for me please? I want to best advise you on using the company paid payment type. 🙂

Thank you,
Kevin Dorsey
lorivy

Yes, company credit card.

Eveline

How can you set company paid as default when you have a standard version?

KevinD
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Eveline you will need to go to Administration>Expense Settings>Policy. Click Show 1 Advanced Setting. Click on Expense Compliance. On the screen that appears (it will have lots of checkboxes) scroll down until you see the option that says, "Set the Default Payment Type for New Expenses". This option does not have a checkbox, but is a drop down. This is where you find the Company Paid payment type.

Remember: It is important to train your employees to be sure to change the payment type if they have any out of pocket expenses. If they pay for a business expense on a personal credit card and forget to change the payment type from Company Paid to Out of Pocket or whatever name you gave this payment type, they will not be reimbursed that amount.

Thank you,
Kevin Dorsey
MiShipley
Occasional Member - Level 3

Kevin, we just did a refresh training for our users and several of them told me that they always have to change the "out of pocket" setting to "company paid" when they're entering their expenses. We use the Standard Edition and I have verified that I have the payment type set to default to "Company Paid", using your information above.  Are we experiencing a glitch somewhere?

Thanks,

Michele

KevinD
Community Manager
Community Manager

@MiShipley I just went into the profiles of one of your employees and opened her expense report and added a new out of pocket expense. The Payment Type says "Company Paid". See my screenshot. It's possible that they had reports created prior to the change being made. But from what I saw, the system is working how you have it set up. 

KevinD_0-1634856677569.png

Thank you,
Kevin Dorsey
MiShipley

@KevinD

That’s what I see too, but I have 5-6 users telling me differently.  It’s very strange.  I reset this default months ago and most users are seeing "Company Paid".  They’ll begin inputting new expenses in the next few days and I’ll have them keep an eye on it, but this has been happening for about two months.  

Mi

KevinD
Community Manager
Community Manager

@MiShipley Can you provide me a few of those names, please? I'd like to go in and test it in their profiles. If you don't want to post their names in this thread, you can send me a private message. Just click my username (KevinD). You'll see a Message button. 

Thank you,
Kevin Dorsey
MiShipley

@KevinD - thanks for your help with this. We would never have known otherwise that ExpenseIt defaults to "out-of-pocket" expense instead of "company paid". I'll have our users take care of this when they use ExpenseIt.

Michele