cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
slipman
Occasional Member - Level 1

Best way to add project list based off user

We currently have the billable field with a yes or no selection then a free type field with the project ID.  We would like to import our projects but we have many of them.  We would like to change the project ID field to a list.  Is there a way to set the system up so that when a user is creating an expense report it will only show that user's projects instead of the whole list?  I am a new admin and would greatly appreciate any help anyone can provide on this.

4 REPLIES 4
KevinD
Community Manager
Community Manager

@slipman this can be done, but it is going to take a bit of work. To make it so a user only sees their list of projects, you have to have what we call a connected list. A connected list appears to the users as at least two fields. What the user selects in the first field, determines what is available in the second field. So, in your case, a user we need to have some selection to make in the first field to then see only his/her assigned projects in the second field. There isn't a way to simply assign a list of projects to one employee and have a completely different list of projects assigned to another. 

So, what you will need to do is determine what a user can select in the first field to see just their projects in the second field. It could be as simple as they choose their own name in the first field, which would tell the system to show only those projects in the second field. It is a little hard to explain here without giving a visual, but hopefully it gives you an idea.

This is done in the List Management screen. Are you familiar with creating lists? 

As far as adding the fields for employees, likely SAP Concur would need to do this for you.

Thank you,
Kevin Dorsey
SAP Concur Community Manager
Did this response answer your question? Be sure to select “Accept as Solution” so your fellow community members can be helped by it as well.
JackFan
Routine Member - Level 1

I agree in general but I want to add some other consideration as well. If you use the name in the first field, you might have problems in three scenarios : 1) people with the same name 2) too many users 3) new users are created frequently. Your list might grow huge and hard to maintain in these scenarios. 

What I would suggest is to group the projects in a more generic term for example department and use department as the first field. 

slipman
Occasional Member - Level 1

Perfect thank you Kevin.  This helps a ton.  I am familiar with creating lists so I can get started on that piece.  I appreciate your help.

KevinD
Community Manager
Community Manager

@slipman Happy to help. Let me know if you have any questions. 

Thank you,
Kevin Dorsey
SAP Concur Community Manager
Did this response answer your question? Be sure to select “Accept as Solution” so your fellow community members can be helped by it as well.