cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Occasional Member - Level 2

Personal Car Mileage - Electric cars

All of our employees use their own vehicles for business mileage and are set up in Concur. We have employees who are looking at buying electric cars but the Concur mileage rates are only set up for Petrol or Diesel. 

Does anyone have experience of setting up electric cars in Concur to reclaim mileage allowances?

If we were to use the petrol or diesel vehicle type in mileage rates Concur would claim VAT on the mileage. Although as we wouldn't have any "fuel" receipts maybe it wouldn't.

All help / input would be appreciated.

8 Replies
Highlighted
SAP Concur Employee
SAP Concur Employee

Re: Personal Car Mileage - Electric cars

@howardwilliams First thing I would need to know to help answer your question is, what type of Configuration of SAP Concur are you on? Are you on our Standard Configuration or are you on our Professional Configuration? If you are not sure, there is an easy way to tell. 

Log into Concur. From the home screen, go to the upper right-hand corner where it says Administration. Mouse over this. You should see a little drop down menu appear. If you see Expense Settings as an option, then you are on a Standard Configuration.

So, if you could let me know your configuration type, I can provide some guidance. 

Thanks,
Kevin Dorsey
SAP Concur Sr. Training Consultant

Did this response answer your question? Be sure to select “Accept as Solution” so your fellow community members can be helped by it as well.
Highlighted

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the quick response. We are on Standard Configuration

Howard

Highlighted
SAP Concur Employee
SAP Concur Employee

@howardwilliams Unfortunately in our Standard configuration you are locked into the car types of Petro and Diesel. Also, the mileage expense type is tied to the Category of Personal Car Mileage Reimbursement which allows for using the Mileage calculator. To be able to use a mileage expense type that has the mileage calculator, you must register a car on your profile, but it can only be one of the pre-set car types of either Petrol or Diesel. 

The only workaround I can think of is to create a new expense type named Electric Car. Maybe categorize it as Ground Transportation. The users would have to calculate their own mileage and multiply it by your company's reimbursement rate and enter that amount in the Amount field of the expense. It is not ideal, but it could work. You could also add a couple of custom fields that would appear for all expense types labeled To and From where they can enter their starting location and ending location like you would see on a Personal Car mileage expense. This could be confusing to some, but it is a workaround if knowing the starting and ending locations are important. 

I posted your issue internally. I'll let you know if I get any response different from what I posted here. Again, mine is a suggestion only, I haven't really come across this issue before, but yours is very valid with the uptick in Electric vehicles. 

Thanks,
Kevin Dorsey

Did this response answer your question? Be sure to select “Accept as Solution” so your fellow community members can be helped by it as well.
Highlighted

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the suggested workaround but it does seem rather long winded.

As you say, with the "uptick" in Electric vehicles and that only increasing in the future it feels like a development that Concur should be looking into as a matter of priority.

Highlighted
SAP Concur Employee
SAP Concur Employee

I won't disagree with that. :-)

You can submit a solution suggestion to have Electric Car added as a car type for our Standard Product. I know there are companies in the UK reimbursing for riding their bikes to work, but I'm not sure how they are doing that. 

Thanks,
Kevin Dorsey

Highlighted

Thanks Kevin.

Suggestion put in.

Regards

Howard

Highlighted

This topic has came up more frequently for our company as well.  We have Professional.  Is Eletric Car an option for us to use?

Highlighted
SAP Concur Employee
SAP Concur Employee

@ljackson I believe in Professional you can create your own car configuration. Our Standard configuration doesn't allow for customizing a car type. If you have Admin rights, go to Administration>Expense>Car Configuration. Here you can create your own car set up. 

Thanks,
Kevin Dorsey