cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RebeccaD
Community Manager
Community Manager

Approvers on extended leave

How are companies handling moving expense reports to the next level approver when the employees' supervisor is on an extended leave?

This question comes from our LinkedIn group.

1 Solution
Solution
KevinD
Community Manager
Community Manager

Site Admins should go in and assign an approving delegate for the approver on extended leave. This can be done for clients on the Professional setup of SAP Concur. Or you can just assign a new approver to the employees while their normal approver is on extended leave (see below for what needs to happen if this is the case). For our Standard clients, admins do not have the ability to assign Delegates on behalf of others. The work around would be to assign a new approver to the employees that directly report to the approver on extended leave.

For our Professional and Standard clients, if employees have submitted an expense report already and it is sitting in the approval queue of the approver on extended leave, then one of the following will need to happen:

1. Employees go in and recall their reports. Site admin assigns the new approver, employees resubmit.

2. Expense Processor goes in and returns the reports to the employees, site admin assigns new approver, employees resubmit.

I hope this helps.

Kevin

Thank you,
Kevin Dorsey
SAP Concur Community Manager
Did this response answer your question? Be sure to select “Accept as Solution” so your fellow community members can be helped by it as well.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Dede
New Member - Level 1

I have the same sitauation

BStrait
Super User
Super User

Becca,

There are actually two ways to contend with this:

1.) Access the extended leave employee's profile via user maintenance and assign a delegate to the approver with approval access, so that user can logon and approve anything in that particular queue.

2.) Administration>company>Company admin>Approval Queues - instructions on this screen should tell you how to manage this.  Full disclosure... I don't remember if this menu path only shows up if you have advanced configuration access, or regular configuration access.

I hope that this helps.

Solution
KevinD
Community Manager
Community Manager

Site Admins should go in and assign an approving delegate for the approver on extended leave. This can be done for clients on the Professional setup of SAP Concur. Or you can just assign a new approver to the employees while their normal approver is on extended leave (see below for what needs to happen if this is the case). For our Standard clients, admins do not have the ability to assign Delegates on behalf of others. The work around would be to assign a new approver to the employees that directly report to the approver on extended leave.

For our Professional and Standard clients, if employees have submitted an expense report already and it is sitting in the approval queue of the approver on extended leave, then one of the following will need to happen:

1. Employees go in and recall their reports. Site admin assigns the new approver, employees resubmit.

2. Expense Processor goes in and returns the reports to the employees, site admin assigns new approver, employees resubmit.

I hope this helps.

Kevin

Thank you,
Kevin Dorsey
Did this response answer your question? Be sure to select “Accept as Solution” so your fellow community members can be helped by it as well.
Modesto-R
New Member - Level 1

I have the same issue. When an expense claim sitting in the aprover's (Supervisor) queue for  a considerable number of days due to extended leave, does expense claim automatically re-routed to the Supervisor's Manager for approval even if it was not assigned or delegated to the Manager? 

KevinD
Community Manager
Community Manager

Yes it does. It will auto-escalate to the manager's manager for approval. Usually the default setting is after 10 days it will auto-escalate. 

Kevin

Thank you,
Kevin Dorsey
Sydnesue
Occasional Member - Level 3

I understand you can set the configuration to promote the report up to the next level after X days.

We just assign an Expense Delegate with approval rights, and only up the management chain (assign the delegate role to the approver of the person on LOA, not a lateral manager).