Highlighted
Routine Member - Level 3

Re: Initial thoughts on the new Expense UI.

I was doing my expense report yesterday for the month in the new UI and had about 10 transactions that I needed to attach receipts. Then it struck me - no more drag and drop from the receipt gallery, unless I am missing something. That was one feature my heavy users (EA's) really valued in the present UI.

Richard Grigg
Assistant Director, Business Services
Australian Bureau of Statistics
KathyT
Occasional Member - Level 2

I just starting to look at new UI.  I like the hotel itemization changes and having the receipt by the entry.    

On the downside, we're concerned users will view the + where you add receipts as a indicator a receipt is required.  Before there was an icon indicating receipt required. 

Routine Member - Level 3

teach a man to fish... love it.

ค๓๒єг ɭєє - ᴄᴏɴᴄᴜʀ ᴄᴏɴɴᴏɪssᴇᴜʀ
(っ◔◡◔)っ  ☆ Fort Worth, Texas ☆
Routine Member - Level 3

I heard this as well. The new UI is still being updated and improved every day which gives Concur time to hear the feedback from people like us and fix issues before rolling it out to everyone.

Routine Member - Level 3

While I recently dealt with the conundrum of adding hundreds of one time users I'm struggling with wrapping my brain around why Concur would take such a sharp right turn away from their declared #1 goal - The Perfect Trip. < go ahead, click the link! 

I say this because even though the number of one time users is higher, they're not the road warriors, the ones The Perfect Trip is designed to help, and even if they went on a business trip they wouldn't get the benefit because it takes time to build up your profile, set up your tripit, and turn things on that road warriors set up over a period of time. A one timer isn't going to put all that time and effort and GB space on their phones for one trip. 

Concur has almost mastered and automated the entire process, start to finish, booking to submitting the report, all to throw it all away in an effort to make it easier for someone who will use Concur one time? Sure, there may be more individuals in that category but you should be counting steps and processes and time involved before prioritizing. I've got 250 card holders and maybe 10 frequent travelers and 9 out of 10 steps I take are with those 10 in mind. 

Since it's bad form to present a problem without a solution here's my thought on how to get back on track but still fix the one time user experience. We need a Concur Lite. Same taste, half the calories. Keep going with The Perfect Trip and all the tools put in place. Keep some of the updates but only the ones that keep you pointed toward your #1 goal. Then have this other baby version of Concur for all the one timers. There are obviously a million more details but that's enough to get the gist. 

The last thing I'll point out is that the negative impact this has on the admins is going to be twice that of the road warriors because we're in there all day every day looking at expense reports and anything that makes that process slower is sliding backwards down a rocky mountain, on a slip-n-slide, covered in coconut oil in the wrong direction. The Perfect Trip is at the top of the mountain and we were so close we were getting our flag out. 

the perfect trip.PNGGoogle The Perfect Trip to understand where I'm coming from.

Routine Member - Level 3

@KathyT - your point about + receipt icon is spot on.  My organisation is almost receiptless in Concur (due to reliance on local tax legislation regarding Diners) - the only time the receipt icon appears is when one is needed - i.e Mastercard transactions >$82.50AUD including tax.  This may cause confusion to my end users.

Richard Grigg
0 Kudos
Routine Member - Level 3

@AmberLee - okay you got me thinking - so I did a bit of research. 

In the first 8 months of 2017 I had 3800 domestic flight bookings undertaken by 1400 different individuals. Frequent travel (at least 3 trips in that period by one individual) accounted for 66% of flight bookings and were made up by 30% of those individual travellers (in other words 400 individuals accounted for over 2500 flights).  Each trip incurs at least 10 transactions (Flights, hotels, TMC fees, taxi's or uber) - so in the period observed these frequent travellers had to reconcile between 30 and 410 transactions.  The other 70% of my staff who travelled did 20 or less transactions during this period - not sure where I am going with this...yet, but I do know who my road warriors are and I agree they want the "perfect trip" as you outlined.  My mandate is to ensure the administrative impost is reduced for these travellers so they can concentrate on what they do best - the business of statistics!  If the new UI creates a negative end user experience - I bet London to a brick that I'll hear more from the 400 frequent travellers than the 1000 infrequent ones.

Keep carrying that flag!

Richard Grigg
SandraA
Routine Member - Level 1

I do agree with what Amber shared. 

Although I've never been a fan of the Perfect Trip - because more than half of our submitted expenses are not related to travel.

But I agree there could be multiple versions in order to maintain the features we need and like in the current version.  To change the whole thing for new employees makes no sense.  I'd love to know what Math was used for this decision.

I figure New employees doing their first report is less than 1% of our yearly volume.

Sandra Ahola
T-Mobile
Senior Analyst Travel, Card & Expense
US
https://www.linkedin.com/in/sandra-ahola-4704553/
Routine Member - Level 3

@SandraA You actually bring up another valid point concerning non-travel expenses. Concur already has completely separate setups for travel cards and purchasing cards. A lot of companies don't have both types but the fact remains they are completely separate setups. That means creating a "Concur Lite" isn't as far fetched as I originally thought it would be. 

0 Kudos
MGordon
Occasional Member - Level 3

I decided to do my Concur Fusion expense report in the new UI,  but due to system issues with the new UI it still is not submitted.  I am surprised by the errors and incorrect functionalty that has occured given that this is in production and this is a very basic travel expense report.   I could not assign an expense type to an unassigned credit card transaction that had been applied to the report.  Once this was fixed, it is now not autopopulating fields that it should (me as an attendee for a meal while traveling and some of our accounting fields. 

We will be doing very extensive testing to ensure that our customization is not lost in the upgrade and that all functions are working as expected.

I agree with many of the comments made in this post. 

• Hovering over credit card icon was very helpful.  Could you not have an Icon that says "Visa" or what ever the payment type  is and still provide the functionality of hovering over it for details?
  • Font size is too large,  scrolling is not productive.
  • The + sign for receipts does make it appear that it is required when often it is not.
  • The ability to drag and drop will be missed
  • I do like the itemization for Hotels, our associates have been asking for a way to handle different rates each night.

We will continue testing and provide feedback when we can.