Highlighted
Routine Member - Level 3

Initial thoughts on the new Expense UI.

I'm interested in users thoughts on the new UI Expense release - the pros and cons - no holds barred.

Kind regards
Richard Grigg
Assistant Director, Business Services
Australian Bureau of Statistics
76 Replies
jsportsman
Occasional Member - Level 3

Re: Initial thoughts on the new Expense UI.

I have been reviewing for the last two days. I really like it. It will take some time to getting used to but I think our users will like it! 

Jason C. Sportsman, GTP
SandraA
Routine Member - Level 1

Unfortunately I'm not a fan.  The 2 things I like are:   Having the corporate card designation in Text (vs icon) and the Hotel itemization.

Things I don't like - text is huge (why?) so we can no longer scan a report and get all the essential details.   We need to see business purpose and that could take 10 mins vs one quick glance.   There is no designation for Personal on the front page of report.   (Other than $0.)

When you open the detail all the text is too light.  Almost unreadable if Personal box is checked.

You can no longer go into report header by clicking on the Report Name.   Another change that will make working with reports slower rather than faster.  (Am I missing something?   Is there a way to do this?)

View All reports no longer exists.  This is something we must have.  

And I can't get out of the darn thing!  Preview and Revert do not work 95% of the time.   Will be opening a ticket on that and some other bugs. 

Sandra Ahola
T-Mobile
Senior Analyst Travel, Card & Expense
US
https://www.linkedin.com/in/sandra-ahola-4704553/
Routine Member - Level 3

Thanks @SandraA for your feedback - I will definitely look into the issues you have raised - this is exactly the feedback we need prior to launching on a global scale.
@MeggieC - could you please direct Sandra's concerns to the right area?

Kind regards
Richard Grigg
Community Manager
Community Manager

@RichardG wrote:
Thanks @SandraA for your feedback - I will definitely look into the issues you have raised - this is exactly the feedback we need prior to launching on a global scale.
@MeggieC - could you please direct Sandra's concerns to the right area?

Kind regards

Hi @SandraA-- we will pass on your feedback but you can also always go here as well: https://www.concur.com/en-us/customer-experience/contact.

Kelly Rigotti
Director, Digital Marketing
SAP Concur
jsportsman
Occasional Member - Level 3

My understanding that new releases will be deployed in the next year that should correct all these issues. 

Thanks,

Jason

Jason C. Sportsman, GTP
Routine Member - Level 3

Thanks @KellyR!
Richard Grigg
0 Kudos
Josh
Routine Member - Level 1

Overall, I think the change is for the better. The side-by-side view of expense details and the receipt image is great. The ability to view past reports on the main Expense Center page is also a welcome adjustment.

I would, however, agree with Sandra and say that an option to View All past reports is a puzzling omission. Sure, you can set the date parameters, but what if you don't know when an employee began? A simple View All option would be a simple way to ensure no report gets left behind.

Also, it is curious as to why icons indicating certain properties of an expense are no longer present. For instance, the credit card icon indicating an expense is linked to a company credit card, an icon to indicate comments are present, and an icon for a personal expense. The layout before was able to give an approver a very good sense of the report with a quick glance, and now, they're left with just lines of text. The overall organization of a given report is great, but the aesthetic design seems a step down from the previous UI.

Before, for company credit card info, you could just hover over the icon and see the data. Move your mouse down a few pixels and you can see the next one. Now, you've got to open up an expense and click on the Company Card link at the top of the page. To go to the next, you have to close the transaction info box, close the expense, open the next one (hoping you remember your place on the list), and click the Company Card link again. Again, the organization and presentation is very sharp, but the practical reality of how it functions seems too complex. This is likely going to significantly increase the time it takes for an approver to view all this info on a given report.

It'd be great if an identifier (like an icon) was on the list view of the report that indicates a company card transaction is linked. Click that icon and the transaction info pops up like the receipt image pops up now (lightbox - a great improvement). Sure, the Payment Type lists the company card payment method, but again - organization is great, aesthetic design seems bland and unremarkable.

Also - and I know I'm going on and on about this, sorry! - the top menu on a page is no longer static. The SAP Concur logo, Travel, Expense, Reporting, etc. menu used to stay at the top of the page and the rest of the page scrolled underneath it. That way, you scroll all the way down a page and then can just move your mouse up to the top of the page and switch to an Admin page or the Expense Center or whever you need to go.

Now, the top menu  just scrolls with the rest of the page, and in order to access it you have to scroll all the way back up to the top. It would be so helpful if it remained static like it did before the update.

Besides those tweaks, I'm not sure I have many other big issues with it. I love the way Allocations work now. You go to add a new allocation, and it prompts you for all the Cost Tracking fields right away. Before, all those fields had the potential to load in as blanks, causing issues, but this fixes that in a very nice way.

Can't wait to see the rest of it as we update our internal end user documentation.

Josh
Josh
Routine Member - Level 1

Oh! And the new icon for a Missing Receipt Declaration is great. Much easier to tell it's there at a glance.

Although now I just noticed something else. If a report has more than 25 expenses on it, there will be two pages, and you have to click to the next page to view them. The page indiciators on the bottom of the page are surprisingly small.

2018-03-21_17-05-51.png

Given that if an approver were to miss seeing these (and I'm confident many of ours could potentially miss it), they could approve a report without even seeing some of the expenses, I'm surprised that these page selectors are not more prominent.

Why do reports need to be split up into only pages of 25 expenses in the first place? I think it would be much better to just have all the expenses (whether there are two expenses or a thousand) on a single page. Maybe with the new UI that's not technically feasible for ease of navigation, and would slow down the site dramatically. If that's the case, and there must be multiple pages for a report with loads of expenses, I suggest that the page indicators at least be more prominent, like the Copy Report and Submit Report buttons at the top of the report. That way, it is very clear to anyone reviewing / approving reports that there are more expenses present than the ones on the first page.

Anyway, just my 2 cents Smiley Happy

Josh
Routine Member - Level 3

I wonder if the 25 transactions per page is something that can be altered? @KellyR - could you please seek a response for Josh on this?
Richard Grigg