cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tony
New Member - Level 1

Use of the personal expense do not reimburse checkbox

My coimpany is just implementing concur expense and our general philosophy is to use the vanilla system where possible. 

Our implementor has advised us not to use the "personal expense do not reimburse" checkbox but use an expense type for personal expense instead.  She said that most of her clients do this but then I find that a screen display is inaccurate because of this choice.  

Please let me know if this is a common practice.  Is it best to use expense type instead of the checkbox?

Tony

10 REPLIES 10
KevinD
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Tony Is the person implementing your site from SAP Concur? 

Thank you,
Kevin Dorsey
SAP Concur Community Manager
Did this response answer your question? Be sure to select “Accept as Solution” so your fellow community members can be helped by it as well.
toriehigh
Routine Member - Level 1

Hi Tony,

My company uses the checkbox, and that is what I'd recommend.  When our users have an accidental charge on their company card, etc., checking that box removes the transaction from any cost center budget, and instead drops it into our employee receivables account.  This allows our accounting team to track and follow up to ensure that repayment is received from the employee.  

Yes, you could still track it by using an expense type, but putting that expense type out there allows anyone to use it, even if they shouldn't be doing so, and it would still be charged to a cost center unless you also added a specific cost center for personal expenses. 

And, since you're new to this, trust me...your users are not always going to follow instructions.

Good luck!

Torie Hightower    

Thammacher
Occasional Member - Level 1

Hi Torie.  Do you happen to know if there is a way to auto mark that personal expense box if a particular expense type is chosen?   I'd like to do that for late fees on our Amex cards.  

Thanks!

Tammy

DeanR
Frequent Member - Level 1

Yes, you can have box checked and hidden in an Expense Entry Form, then assign that Form to the Expense Type(s) that you wish to always be personal/non-reimbursable.  We have this configuration in our environment.

If you don't have access to edit Expense Entry Forms then you would log a request with Concur Support.

traciebui926
New Member - Level 1

Hi Torie,

This "employee receivables account" you're referring to, where can I find this? Is this a default account that Concur has created or something the user has to create themselves? Found your response really helpful! Thank you!

-Tracie

KFriedhoff
Occasional Member - Level 3

Hi Torie,

I saw your post on Concur Community.  Do you import your SAE into your ERP?

I am having difficulties with how the transactions marked as personal expenses are displayed on the SAE file and how they are imported into our ERP.

Was wondering if you could detail your process or would be open to a phone conversation.

Thanks,

Karen Friedhoff

bradyb
Occasional Member - Level 2

This is probably too late, but yes, we use that button all the time. We pay employees per diem, so when an employee charges a meal to their card, they will check personal expense, do not reimburse.  It will deduct it from their per diem so it saves them having to pay the company back using antoher method. The only downside is that if they somehow charged more than what they are entitled to and actually owe money, they cannot submit the report due to a negative balance. They would have to be on a check reimbursement no expense pay to make this happen. We insist all employees use expense pay. 

Good luck!

tyonci

Hi, we use the personal checkbox. This allows us to capture what the expense is (ie meals, uber, etc) and it's cost while also zeroing out the expense so it's not reimbursed.  Then I can run a report showing $x was marked as personal in these categories. 

Nancyagfa
Super User
Super User

We use the check box and it appears on most of our expense types, if not all.  Assigns $0 reimbursement on the report and makes it easy to review personal spend.  It also helps when there is a limit on an expense and they have to itemize a portion as personal.

Nancy Murray
Agfa
Lewis-H

Step 1: Record a personal expense from a business account. Select + New. Select Check or Expense. Select a Payee from the drop-down ▼ menu. ...
Step 2: Reimburse the company. Select + New. Select Bank Deposit. Select the Account to add the reimbursement to, and select the Date.