cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dlamont
Super User
Super User

How to mark hotel transaction line as personal

Professional Edition - we have the ability to mark transactions (that aren't itemized) as personal or even itemized lines as personal, but not the "main" Hotel transaction line.  So we can mark all itemized lines as personal but the hotel line still remains "open" and cannot be marked personal, so then the itemizations don't match the hotel transaction.  We need to be able to make the whole transaction as personal due to the transaction being on a company credit card.  "Hiding" the transaction from the Company Tools, Company Card menu is not a good option for us as we want to be able to track and report on users who use their card for personal purchases.  The same scenario for personal travel booked through Concur (which we allow, as we can offer corporate rates to employees), as the e-receipt and itinerary come into Concur and since we do not allow users to delete e-receipts and itineraries, the ability to mark hotels as personal would eliminate some admin cleanup in user's Available Expenses!  Is there a workaround for this, or can the hotel line have a "personal expense, do not reimburse" option added?

DLamont
1 Solution
Solution
KevinD
Community Manager
Community Manager

@dlamont expense types can be hidden by what we call policies. A policy is assigned to an Employee Group, so all employees in that group will see all the expense types active for the policy. This allows certain employees to only see certain expense types and allows you to hide expense types for certain employees. To do this you need full site access, which I'm guessing you might not. Full access comes from completing our Advanced Configuration training. If you are interested in this training, send an email to: training@concur.com.

If you want to prevent users from using a visible expense type because no one has full access to hide the expense type, you could use an audit rule to flag its use. 

Thank you,
Kevin Dorsey
SAP Concur Community Manager
Did this response answer your question? Be sure to select “Accept as Solution” so your fellow community members can be helped by it as well.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
KevinD
Community Manager
Community Manager

@dlamont did you ever get this figured out? I thought you could have the Personal Expense checkbox on any expense type. It is a form field, so they can be hidden or visible depending on configuration. 

If you didn't get this resolved, let me know and I'll look in your site to see if it is being hidden or if for some reason the Hotel expense is exempt from the checkbox.

Thank you,
Kevin Dorsey
Did this response answer your question? Be sure to select “Accept as Solution” so your fellow community members can be helped by it as well.

I started to log a case and a Knowledge Base Article came up (I sure wish these had dates and an Article # so they can be referenced more easily) titled "How to mark a Hotel Expense as personal?".  Resolution/Answer: "The Hotel Expense type is set up to have personal itemization.  The Personal Expense checkbox is only available for the itemization entries (child entries)."  So I guess that is the answer, how old the answer is, I am not sure!  Under "Additional Information" "if the Spend Category of the Hotel expense type is Lodging - Track Room Rate Spending, the the Personal Expense box will only appear on the itemized entries."  So I guess we are out of luck.  

It would be nice if all itemized entries are checked as personal it would take care of it, but it doesn't affect the Parent line.  The only other option I see now, would be to create a Hotel - Personal Expense type and I don't think management would like this as it could promote users to process personal charges, and we only want it to be an exception.

Another question along these lines, I don't suppose we could "hide" an expense type from visibility to a user, unless turned on somehow by an audit rule?  I know I could probably use an audit rule so an expense type couldn't be used, but I don't really want it visible either - probably asking too much here, but it's worth a shot!

Thanks,

DLamont
Solution
KevinD
Community Manager
Community Manager

@dlamont expense types can be hidden by what we call policies. A policy is assigned to an Employee Group, so all employees in that group will see all the expense types active for the policy. This allows certain employees to only see certain expense types and allows you to hide expense types for certain employees. To do this you need full site access, which I'm guessing you might not. Full access comes from completing our Advanced Configuration training. If you are interested in this training, send an email to: training@concur.com.

If you want to prevent users from using a visible expense type because no one has full access to hide the expense type, you could use an audit rule to flag its use. 

Thank you,
Kevin Dorsey

Thanks!  It would need to be available for anyone, should it come up.  So the answer would be to set up the expense type as Hotel - Personal, and control usage by an Audit Rule.  We just have to decide if management would want it visible - they can be funny about those things!

DLamont