cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
amoynaha
Occasional Member - Level 3

How to handle wrong charge, refund and receipt not matching intital charge?

Summary. (reposting this as my first attempt vanished)
1) made hotel reservation for 199.20 / night through concur travel.

2) at checking my reservation was found but invalid due to a booking issue.

3) staff at hotel had to manually re-create my reservation as they couldn't edit existing one.

4) mistakenly put in an extra 2 in and the rate was 1992.20/night

5) hotel has issued refund.

Now I have (all amounts have been rounded for ease of typing. all amounts do actually reconcile)
a) charge on Amex for 2296

b) refund for (2066)

c) receipt was corrected and now reflects the correct rate and charge totally 260.

I cannot figure out how to combine the charge, refund and receipt in a way that allows me to process the charges and refunds. I can't use the receipt to itemize the charge as the amounts won't match up and the tool won't allow me to combine the charge and refund (even if I use the work around by adding both charges to expense report and combine. It throws an error).

Thanks

-A

5 REPLIES 5
HendrikV
SAP Concur Employee
SAP Concur Employee

I would keep two hotel line items, one of 2296, where you itemize 2066 as a personal expense and add a comment (reimbursed overcharge by the hotel). Attach to this the corrected hotel invoice. Add the second charge as a separate hotel line item, and mark it also as a personal expense. That way you have accounting-wise the correct reimbursement amount for the two nights. As I don't know your company's configuration, it may throw a warning, but should process through.

leedau
SAP Concur Employee
SAP Concur Employee

@amoynaha Thanks for reaching out. In addition to the above response, I reviewed your expense report. I would just treat them all the same, add them to an expense report and separately itemize each expense entry.  The actual hotel charges are more than the refund, so you should not have an issue submitting your expense report. 

Let us know if you have further questions. 

Thank you,
Lee-Anne Dautovic
SAP Concur Community Moderator
Did this response answer your question? Be sure to select “Accept as Solution” so your fellow community members can be helped by it as well.
KevinD
Community Manager
Community Manager

@amoynaha the Alerts you are seeing are not tied to the negative amount (refund). They are tied to missing information being asked for, like; Location Worked. The yellow alerts do not affect your ability to submit and likely won't go away. 

Just be sure to reconcile all the red colored alerts and you should be fine. 🙂

Thank you,
Kevin Dorsey
SAP Concur Community Manager
Did this response answer your question? Be sure to select “Accept as Solution” so your fellow community members can be helped by it as well.
amoynaha
Occasional Member - Level 3

I guess I'm confused about how I am supposed to reconcile this as :

a) with the 2296.01 expense, I will NEVER be able to reconcile that against the receipt because the hotel system changed the receipt to the proper amount now (199.20/night + taxes = 229.58). I can't  get the red reconcile error to go away because nothing reconciles.
b) my refund line item (-2066.43).. I don't know how to reconcile this at all because there is no associated receipt for this refund. I don't even know how I would reconcile this as it's just a bulk refund,.
c) I can't combine the refund (-2066.43 ) with the charge (2296.01). If I could combine these, then the total charge left over would be 229.58 which is the amount on my hotel bill.

@leedauyou said "The actual hotel charges are more than the refund, so you should not have an issue submitting your expense report. " This is true. but I can't actually reconcile anything for the above reasons.
If I could combine the refund and charge then this would be trivial. But the tool won't let me do that.

I also want to note (and this is NOT your fault) that I HATE HATE HATE that my company has zero internal resources to help with this. My company will quickly let me know if my expenses are late but will not provide any actual help with issues like this.

leedau
SAP Concur Employee
SAP Concur Employee

@amoynaha  - Thanks for the follow up. I would suggest reaching out to your company administrator for assistance. I know you mentioned that you have don't have  a resource. I will send you a private message with a contact. 

The hotel should have provided you a receipt for the $2,296.01 originally charged. I would suggest working with your internal team to see how they want you to reconcile these two transactions. 

Remember to tag me if you respond or feel free to mark this post as Solved if you don't have further questions or comments. To tag me on your response, you click the Reply button, first thing to type is @. This should bring up the username of the person you are replying to.

Thank you,
Lee-Anne Dautovic
SAP Concur Community Moderator