cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
karakitt
Occasional Member - Level 2

How do I turn off ExpenseIt for e-receipts or pdfs I forward from an email address?

ExpenseIt is more of a hassle than a help - I need to turn this feature OFF completely and I can't figure out how.  It seems to have turned itself on automatically for receipts I forward in from my emails.  In the past, these receipts would just go into my Available Receipts.  Now, they are being processed automatically by ExpenseIt however this is NOT helpful. 

Today it took the Courtyard logo image from a hotel folio email and turned into its own Meal receipt with an amount of $100!  It set the location of a rental car receipt as somewhere in New Jersey because that's the location of Budget headquarters.  I don't want to double-check computer-generated expenses.  I want to go back to the way things were, where I can manually enter my expenses and just make sure they're done correctly the first time.  This is now making my expense processing take twice as long trying to catch all these stupid mistakes. 

How can I disable this feature for receipts I forward in from my email??

EDIT: This has been solved as described by @claireswiss  and @dawkinsc !!!  On the web, navigate to Profile Settings > Expense Preferences and Un-tick the box for using ExpenseIt on forwarded receipts.  I just tested this with a forwarded flight receipt email and it worked!  The receipt is showing up in my Available Receipts, not as an autogenerated expense!!

68 REPLIES 68
KevinD
Community Manager
Community Manager

@karakitt there was a system change recently where all customers using ExpenseIt will have receipts sent to receipts@concur.com go through ExpenseIt.

If you don't want this to happen, you need to use the mobile app. You can turn ExpenseIt off in the mobile app. By so doing, you can then just take a picture of the receipt through the app and that image should upload to Available Receipts. 

I don't know why this change was made. All I can do is offer the above work around. 

Thank you,
Kevin Dorsey
SAP Concur Community Manager
Did this response answer your question? Be sure to select “Accept as Solution” so your fellow community members can be helped by it as well.
karakitt

This is absolutely insane - this NEEDS to be changed.  I don't want to be taking a picture of my electronic receipts with my phone??  I want to forward receipts I have as email attachments the way I used to without using ExpenseIt.  Absolutely asinine that this is now mandatory.  Concur needs to stop making changes that make creating expense reports MORE work, I have enough work to do as it is.

atrochinski
Occasional Member - Level 1

I agree!  I forward approval emails that just need to be attached to some of my expenses and it creates an expense line with some frivolous dollar amount when all I need to do is forward an email to attach an expense as a document.

leedau
SAP Concur Employee
SAP Concur Employee

@atrochinski and @karakitt Thanks for your feedback. It appears there is a use case for this and perhaps this does not apply to you. I would definitely recommend submitting an improvement request to allow the user flexibility. To view a new improvement request or vote on an existing improvement request, please visit the Customer Influence Website.

Remember to tag me if you respond or feel free to mark this post as Solved if you don't have further questions or comments. To tag me on your response, you click the Reply button, first thing to type is @. This should bring up the username of the person you are replying to.

Thank you,
Lee-Anne Dautovic
SAP Concur Community Moderator
Did this response answer your question? Be sure to select “Accept as Solution” so your fellow community members can be helped by it as well.
karakitt

@leedau  Absolutely will NOT be "marking this as Solved" so your team can pat themselves on the back for having made everyone's lives more difficult for no reason by making ExpenseIt mandatory for email receipts.  I'm assuming one of your KPIs for the year is "increase ExpenseIt utilization" or something like that, so now you're taking it out on all your users.  Our companies pay for your expensing services, isn't that enough?  Can't you just take the money and stop decreasing user satisfaction along the way with every new "update"?

DeanR
Frequent Member - Level 1

@leedau @KevinD 

I understand as Community Administrators you are not involved in Development so I don't wish to shoot the messenger.  BUT it's not a good experience for customers to be asked to submit an "improvement request" for something that isn't actually an improvement, rather a reverse of a change that Concur have forced upon customers.  Perhaps Concur should put their own ideas up for a customer vote before implementation?

We're ExpenseIt customers who liked having the two email addresses receipts@concur.com and receipts@expenseit.com performing different functions and advised our users to choose their preference depending on the circumstances.  I've never heard anyone internally or on this Community request for receipts@concur.com to behave the same as receipts@expenseit.com and struggle to understand the reason for this change.

receipts@expenseit.com is not nearly as useful as the ExpenseIt option within the mobile app, primarily because the app prompts you to confirm details before creating the expense.  With the email option you don't know what result you're going to get from ExpenseIt as demonstrated with the examples in this thread. 

leedau
SAP Concur Employee
SAP Concur Employee

@DeanR Thanks for posting in the SAP Concur Community. I appreciate your feedback. As a Concur Administrator, you have two options. 1) If you believe that the product is not behaving as expected, you can submit a case in the SAP Concur Support Portal and 2) if you have product feedback or recommendations, you can submit an improvement requestion through the Continuous Influence program. 

I appreciate your detailed feedback. Product updates are published in the Release Notes monthly

Thank you,
Lee-Anne Dautovic
SAP Concur Community Moderator
DeanR
Frequent Member - Level 1

@leedau 

1) The product is behaving as expected in line with recent Concur changes; it's the changes themselves that are the problem.

2) I have raised a Customer Influence request: Improvement Request 311106 however I repeat my earlier comment that it's frustrating having to do this just to ask for previous functionality to be restored.  I'm confident in saying that if this change went through Customer Influence prior to implementation it would not have been approved by your customers.

Concur Administrators have had to deal with a rapid number of enforced changes over the last 12 months.  I can accept some execution issues if I understand the reasoning behind the changes, such as 2FA enhancing security.  In this case I can see no good reason for the change - it has removed an option for users to email receipts into Available Receipts if they are ExpenseIt customers.  It is a regressive change.

toblerdavidsika
New Member - Level 1

This function is crap. It creates a lot of hassle and the expeseit expenses can't even be removed on the app. need to go the webinterface to do so. It does not give me choice and was just changed over night. I only found out because I started claiming entried in my inbox at my bank to learn that these did not come from my credit card. And your lovely expenseit wasn't even able to read the invoice properly. Out of a Travel Visa bill over 25USD it created 2 entries, two taxi bookings for 25 CNY and one for 3 EUR. 

This thing is NOT resolved and needs to be taken care of. 

KevinD
Community Manager
Community Manager

@karakitt could you please provide some examples of what issues this is causing for you? That way I can report back internally. 

Thank you,
Kevin Dorsey
karakitt

The two most salient examples are provided in the body of the original post - erroneously setting the Location of an expense based on a business (Budget Rental)'s headquarters location that was probably noted somewhere in their receipt email.  The second was designating a Courtyard Marriott logo as it's own separate receipt outside of the actual hotel folio, somehow assigning it a value of $100, and marking it as a meal.  There may have been other issues that I corrected but can't recall from this batch of ~5 email receipts that were forwarded when I first became aware of this issue.  I have not forwarded any receipts since, and will instead be manually converting my email receipts to pdfs and uploading them as even though that is time consuming, it at least will not generate any errors when doing so.

Please do me a favor and do not use the information I provided to simply "Improve" ExpenseIt.  That is not the solution I'm looking for.  The correct solution is to give me the option of turning ExpenseIt OFF completely, from the web, or really just permanently as applied to all of my receipts from any source.  I do not want AI, I do not want to correct an AI's work, it does not save me time, it does not help me.  I actually enjoy manually creating my expense reports using my own existing system that concur seems hellbent on eliminating for reasons I cannot understand.

KevinD
Community Manager
Community Manager

@karakitt so as not to seem patronizing, I'll just speak openly. Our Community team is not part of the Product development team and we don't work directly with this team, so our only course of action is to tell you to submit the improvement request through our Customer Influence Program. 

To be quite honest, the idea of allowing users to individually opt out of ExpenseIt is a great idea. However, as an employee, I don't get to submit improvement requests. They must come from our customers. 

Thank you,
Kevin Dorsey
dawkinsc
Occasional Member - Level 3

@KevinD I joined the Customer Influence Program, but it's not clear how we can submit improvements there.  As part of the forum community, are the developers then not seeing any of our complaints with respect to Expenseit?

KevinD
Community Manager
Community Manager

@dawkinsc I emailed my contact person for the Customer Influence Program to see if she has a help resource for submitting. 

As for the Developers, I don't believe they are on this community.

Thank you,
Kevin Dorsey
KevinD
Community Manager
Community Manager

@dawkinsc here is a link to our Customer Influence resources: https://www.concurtraining.com/cnqr/continuous-influence-sessions

Thank you,
Kevin Dorsey
karakitt

@KevinD So as to not be patronizing, I'll copy and paste your own message below and then do my best to simply ask a polite clarifying question.  You previously stated, "@karakitt could you please provide some examples of what issues this is causing for you? That way I can report back internally."

Can you help me understand how or why that original comment would make sense if you just now in your most recent message claimed "However, as an employee, I don't get to submit improvement requests. They must come from our customers."

There seems to be a pretty big discordance between the original statement and the most recent one wherein it at first seems you do have the ability to relay concerns to other internal parties and in later messages seem to retract this?

KevinD
Community Manager
Community Manager

@karakitt the reason for my statement that you pasted is I have the ability to ask around internally to find an appropriate contact to make aware of concerns/issues our customers are having. I can then contact that person directly and make them aware of what people are saying. However, I do not get to use our Customer Influence Program to submit requests on behalf of customers. In fact, as an employee, the Customer Influence suggestions are read only for me.

Your suggestion of allowing users to opt-out is an improvement request and if submitted through the proper channel, gets logged for the appropriate teams and can then be voted on by other customers. Me telling someone on the development team via email about issues I see here on the Community, is me conveying the thoughts of our Community members to bring awareness. Fingers crossed, the awareness brings about some positive change. In my role as Community moderator, all I can really do is inform the correct team on behalf of Community members, but decisions to make product and services changes are ultimately done by the development teams of those areas. 

Thank you,
Kevin Dorsey
RWHITECOTTON

We are having the same issue. I now have multiple additional expenses. The receipts are linking to random expenses and the amounts are incorrect. Many are coded to cash instead of our bank card as they should be. It was a nightmare trying to reconcile last month and is again this month. Why would you change something that works fine? Some of us do not use cell phones for pictures. We upload all receipts for this report through email and now, we have to go on a hunt to match everything.  You should never roll out new services unless they are tested thoroughly and should always assume that not everyone uploads receipts by phone. Some people still have computers.

Jmarah

We are having exactly the same issue as you, its been a nightmare.  I am getting so many calls from users trying to reconcile expenses because the receipt has generated a cash expense.  Its also causing me a nightmare to reconcile into the accounts when they dont realise the line is a Cash expense and not the Corporate credit card line so I am having to double check everything. 

claireswiss
New Member - Level 1

having the same problem and found in the settings the option to deactivate expensit for receipts sent per email, so contrary to what is being said here, it is possible. you just to spend another 30 min looking around....