cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DavidW
Routine Member - Level 1

Mile IQ - Did you switch to Concur Drive?

We have seen quite a difference between the two, and are wondering if anyone siwtched from Mile IQ to Concur Drive? If so, what was your reasoning (e.g. cost, use, etc)?

One issue we have: We have non-concur expense users as well. Mile IQ was the only option that would work with both groups ( we like the idea of consistency!).

Amber Lee,

I'd love to hear the latest/get an update from you and your organization on Concur Drive...I believe you were the first of us to "Drive off" with this feature. 

1 Solution
Solution
DavidW
Routine Member - Level 1

Here is what we found....we use the scheduled option. 

• New technology can be buggy at times, so give it a chance - it is cool
  • Seems to work better for longer trips (more than 1 mile)
  • When working correctly, it is fairly accurate  

DISLIKES:

• Personal drives/lunches - extra step to delete
  • Not accurate as missing trips, partial trips, short trips didn’t track (constant issue)
  • Not as easy or consistent as  Mile IQ (www.mileiq.com) or WAZE (www.waze.com)
  • Noticed battery drain as GPS/tracking was always on.
  • Heavy traffic - driving under 8 mph for over five minutes caused Drive to close the route/trip. Being in California, driving under 8 mph for >5 minutes would be called normal,  🙂

Funny things tracked: 

- Bike rides (they bluetooth their bike too) - Faily accurate. We don't reimburse for Bike Mileage though - sorry

-Airplanes - it tracked for Airplane taxing....is there a reimbursement for Plane mileage?

It worked in Canada too accurately!

Bottome line for us: It isn't quite there/ready,,,,we'll wait for the later versions or....flying cars. Whatever comes first. 

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Josh
Routine Member - Level 2

I agree; my organization is considering going to Drive, but there doesn't seem to be a big incentive now. Our CSM is promising increased efficiency and decreased cost, but it all seems theoretical. We asked for data to support this, and it seems like there's not much out there in terms of a case study where a company implemented it and saw X% decrease in mileage payout. We'd love to do mileage better, but we're not really interested in being guinea pigs for the program (no offense to anyone using Drive now... nor to guinea pigs).

Also, paging doctor @AmberLee haha

Josh
DavidW
Routine Member - Level 1

Thanks Josh! 

I'll share the feedback we have received.

@AmberLee must be on PTO (!)....way too quiet for her.

AmberLee
Routine Member - Level 3

Hi @DavidW and @Josh! Miss me huh? 😁

Personally, the ability to automate the mileage reimbursement process for my people was the top incentive for us to make the switch. Typically you wouldn't buy a car the first year a new model comes out but sometimes your old one dies a terrible death and you're very loyal to Ford/Chevy or in this case, Concur so you bite the bullet knowing and understanding there will be issues but you've made your peace with it. (Run-on sentence much?)

Some of the two biggest issues which are probably deal breakers for others were:

1. Can't tell the difference between Drive and Google Maps on an expense report.

2. Employee can change the date, obviously defeating the purpose.

Concur was working on fixing those, like adding a time stamp etc. but I don't know if they've been fixed or not..

One day soon Concur Drive is going to release their next version and it's going to be the coolest kid on the block and make you very popular around the office. (Or not, depends on if you wear socks with loafers)

Also, Motus can supply all the data and statistics as they're the original and are the ones building Concur Drive. If you need names let know.

ค๓๒єг ɭєє - ᴄᴏɴᴄᴜʀ ᴄᴏɴɴᴏɪssᴇᴜʀ
(っ◔◡◔)っ  ☆ Fort Worth, Texas ☆
Josh
Routine Member - Level 2

And she's back! And I feel slightly judged for my fashion choices (only at home, of course...)

Totally understand, and that makes sense with needing to automate the mileage process. For my company, I don't think we're at a point where that's as big of an issue, and people are okay with how things are. Not saying that's a good reason to avoid Drive, but we're weighing that benefit alongside cost, the time it'll take to train our employees, and other factors. I assume by your tone that it's been working well? I don't think that we necessary need to see X% more efficiency or anything like that, but we want to make sure the benefits are worth the cost.

As for the first issue you listed, as far as I know, that's only the case on Concur's desktop version. We talked with a Senior Solutions Consultant at Concur and she said there is a tag for 'Auto-Tracked' when approvers view reports in the mobile app. She even gave me this nifty screenshot, too:

unnamed.png

About inclusion on the desktop version, she said, "I anticipate the ability to view on concursolutions.com is a roadmap item."

But I agree that the second issue is one we're eyeing carefully. If they were to just implement some admin controls that could allow or disallow users to edit the date and distance, that would be a huge item in our 'Pro' column.

Overall, we like the idea of Drive, but the untested nature combined with some other factors internally are giving us pause at the moment. We're currently in the beginning stages of a process to replace our accounting system, re-do our general ledger format, and potentially replace other large systems we currently use, so this has been put on a medium-back burner for now.

Thankful for your insight, though! It's nice to have friends in high places 🙂

Josh
AmberLee
Routine Member - Level 3

😊

We personally didn't do any formal training. I wrote out very pithy instructions filled with words of affirmation and subconscious text planting the idea that they asked for and deserve this new "toy" and we're happy to give it to them because they deserve it etc. It was sent to the top mileage expensers based on my reports then it was sent individually every time someone submitted a report with mileage on it. It opened with "We noticed you submitted mileage using the old Google Maps (good job!) but have we got a treat for you! Or something cheesy and intended to relay a sense of "ooh! For me??!"...

No formal training, handful of phone call questions and a few "Thank you for hearing us" emails.

Josh
Routine Member - Level 2

Everybody loves shiny new toys Smiley Very Happy

I would love to just do a tiny set of instructions, but I'm not sure how it would fair with our user base. Just a question: How would you describe the demographics of your Concur users? More tech savvy and quick to learn new things?

For us, we have everyone from hip young people who are quick to learn new tech, to baby boomers who are less than technologically literate, to elderly individuals who just learned how to Facebook. Not all use Concur, but I've had more than one hour-plus-long conversation helping to walk some of our employees through some very basic things. So when we roll out any changes, we try to communicate thoroughly and often so everyone gets it... hopefully!

Josh
AmberLee
Routine Member - Level 3

Ooh boy! One on one conversations with users seems to always last a long time, regardless of their skill level. It's like they finally have an experts undivided attention so they need to get as much out of it as possible. I love having a captive audience so I eat it up.

My people were a mix as well but most of my heavy users were "good ol' boys" who worked maintenance and drove their personal trucks to all our sites. (that's another issue) One of them told me once in his thick southern accent that he didn't need help with Facebook, he figures he can get the hang of this too. Especially since it impacts his income. 

My advice is to have something standing by for those who need a little extra help (step by step guide or your personal cell #), but we all need to give our users a little more credit and let them show you what they can do first before using their inability to learn new stuff as an excuse to halt progress. 

Josh
Routine Member - Level 2

Oh no doubt. We won't let the tail wag the dog on issues like this, but rather we try to accommodate all types of learning styles. It's nice because my boss' style of instruction is more encyclopedic, where he will put out a 90 minute training video that covers everything anyone could possibly need to know in Concur. On the other hand, my approach is more topic-focused, trying to split up info into shorter bite-sized sections. Both have merit, and I'm glad he and I are at least diverse in this regard.

And I totally agree - when something impacts someone's income, they tend to make sure it's done correctly. We've seen that true of our users; we just want to make sure we equip them well.

Josh
Solution
DavidW
Routine Member - Level 1

Here is what we found....we use the scheduled option. 

• New technology can be buggy at times, so give it a chance - it is cool
  • Seems to work better for longer trips (more than 1 mile)
  • When working correctly, it is fairly accurate  

DISLIKES:

• Personal drives/lunches - extra step to delete
  • Not accurate as missing trips, partial trips, short trips didn’t track (constant issue)
  • Not as easy or consistent as  Mile IQ (www.mileiq.com) or WAZE (www.waze.com)
  • Noticed battery drain as GPS/tracking was always on.
  • Heavy traffic - driving under 8 mph for over five minutes caused Drive to close the route/trip. Being in California, driving under 8 mph for >5 minutes would be called normal,  🙂

Funny things tracked: 

- Bike rides (they bluetooth their bike too) - Faily accurate. We don't reimburse for Bike Mileage though - sorry

-Airplanes - it tracked for Airplane taxing....is there a reimbursement for Plane mileage?

It worked in Canada too accurately!

Bottome line for us: It isn't quite there/ready,,,,we'll wait for the later versions or....flying cars. Whatever comes first.