cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kateclark
Occasional Member - Level 1

Processing expense prior to credit card transaction

I'm new to Concur and have a question around the timing of processing a claim.  It takes a few days for our credit card transactions to appear in Concur.  Should I be advising card holders to wait for the transaction to appear before they process their expense or is Concur smart enough to know the expense has been processed if they take a photo of the receipt at the time the expense occurs and process the expense prior to the credit card transaction appearing?

1 Solution
Solution
jacquirumney
Super User
Super User

I tend to say to colleagues to take the photo the day after the transaction, and Concur will match it up.  If they do put the expense in first, before the bank transaction appears, when the bank transaction does appear, you can select both lines and select the combine button, and it merges all the details for you.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Solution
jacquirumney
Super User
Super User

I tend to say to colleagues to take the photo the day after the transaction, and Concur will match it up.  If they do put the expense in first, before the bank transaction appears, when the bank transaction does appear, you can select both lines and select the combine button, and it merges all the details for you.

NTS
Super User
Super User

Hi @kateclark,

this toppic is a bit tricky, let me explain.

In my personal experience, there are two solutions / users.

• Users who upload the expense at the time the expense occurs (same day).
    1. Users upload the expense receipt to Concur using the APP and Expenseit ASAP. (It's important that they check Date + Amount + Currency).
    2. Users wait till the Credit Card Transaction is uploaded to Concur by the integration between Concur and the Bank. (In my case I have to wait 3 days)
    3. Concur then will match the Expense Receipt with the Credit Card Transaction if the Date + Amount + Currency matches.
      • This match only happens if the expense is not in an Expense Report sent to the approval WF or already approved.
      • If there is no match you can match them manually using Concur Web.
    4. Users then move this expense to an Expense Report.

• Users who upload the expense late (once a week, month...).
    1. Users select the Credit Card Transaction available in Concur mobile APP, once in, they took a picture of the Expense Receipt.
      • It’s not needed to upload the expense using Expenseit.
      • It’s important to do this step while the Expense is in Expense and not in Expense Report, once in Expense Report they won’t be able to take a photo using the mobile camera.
    2. Users then move this expense to an Expense Report.

I always ask my users not to move an Expense to the Expense Report if the match is not have been done, that's because we try to avoid users to send the Expense Report to the approval without the match.

If the Expense Receipt is approved without the match, you will need to hide the Credit Card Transaction as it’s impossible to match with the Expense Receipt and your users may duplicate the expense.

KevinD
Community Manager
Community Manager

@kateclark @NTS gave a great explanation and I couldn't have said it better myself. When it comes to credit card transactions and users, the best advice I can give to them is "Wait". Let the card transactions come into their Available Expenses. The most important items are the card transactions and they need to be added to expense reports and submitted. 

Well done @NTS 🙂

Thank you,
Kevin Dorsey
SAP Concur Community Manager
Did this response answer your question? Be sure to select “Accept as Solution” so your fellow community members can be helped by it as well.
DeanR
Frequent Member - Level 1

If you are having an issue with users submitting expense reports for approval before the card transaction has arrived, you can ask Concur Support to change the default Payment Type to Pending Card Transaction.  This will prevent submission until the expense is matched to a card transaction, but can be overridden if it is an out-of-pocket expense that the cardholder needs reimbursing.

This default also only applies to users with an assigned credit card in Concur; for others the default remains as Cash (i.e. reimbursement).