cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nategar11
Occasional Member - Level 1

Monthly Audits - Looking for Feedback

Hello,

On a monthly basis we run several Business expense and Travel audits based on our travel and expense policy. These audits help us identify and inform violators to influence future behavior. We're wanting to know what types of audits you complete, and how often you run them? We're trying to figure out if what we're running is overkill and we need to simplify, or if there are things we should be watching out for that aren't covered by one of our audits. Here's what we do monthly:

-Large out of pocket reimbursements ($1k+) without proper explanation

-Personal expenses charged on corporate credit card

-Unpaid personal expenses still owed to corporate card provider

-Past Due corporate card balances (30+ days)

-# of expense reports submitted in a month by employee (policy is 2x per month, we flag any employees that submit 5 or more)

-Excessive use of Missing Receipt Affidavit (3x+ in one month)

-Corp Card transactions submitted in Concur more than 45 days after transaction date

-Out of pocket transactions submitted in Concur more than 60 days after transaction date

-Manager approval timeouts (if 3 or more expense reports time out in a month)

-Unsubmitted expenses over 30 days old

-Unassigned expenses over 30 days old

-Receipts reviewed audit (this was nixed pretty quickly after some high level managers got notified of their violation)

-Advance flight purchase (employee notified if they don't book an international flight within 14 days, domestic flight within 21 days)

5 REPLIES 5
Munari_alEXPert
Super User
Super User

dear @nategar11 

I like your list as is similar of what I have been doing once in charge of the T&E program. I am not aware of your T&E policy as I didn't see mentioned about exceed limit of spending for meals/hotels/etc so I assume or that there aren't limits or that your system is set up to avoid paying any excess.

I would also include a few indicators that can provide surprising information and so to better investigate within the department or specific employees. Or asking yourself why for example a few employees in one region sharing similar territories would spend differently with taxis, hotel, mileage...:

- Average spending % using the corporate Credit card VS Cash;

- Average monthly cost of Taxis per employee;

- Average monthly cost of Mileage per employee;

- Average cost per night in hotels and for meals;

- Number of hotels night spent per employee and number of meals;

- (Depending on your system settings) calculate the number of time employees go above budgets during the month listing that after e.g. 5 infractions during the year there will be extra audit on their expenses and sharing information with their managers and head of department and in bad cases HR;

- Verify if managers has actually reviewed images receipts before approving expenses.

Let me know if you would add others. Thank you.

Kind Regards

Alessandro Munari
angfly

New to Concur since Jan 2021.  Have a question for you how are you seeing the misuse of Missing Receipt Affidavit?  Is there a std report delivered for this? or did you develop one?

KevinD
Community Manager
Community Manager

@angfly I thought we had a Standard Report that showed missing receipt affidavit use, but I can't seem to find it now. The report can be built easily. In Cognos there is a data item labeled Has Affidavit found by using the following path: Expense>Expense Reports>Entry Information>Additional Entry Details. This item will show either a 0 or a 1. I believe 0 indicates no affidavit is used and a 1 means that expense has the affidavit attached. 

Are you familiar with using Cognos for report building?

Thank you,
Kevin Dorsey
SAP Concur Community Manager
Did this response answer your question? Be sure to select “Accept as Solution” so your fellow community members can be helped by it as well.
angfly

Thank you ever so much it worked I was able to add it to my report.  Thanks again.

KevinD
Community Manager
Community Manager

@angfly Wow! That was fast. Glad I could help. 🙂

Thank you,
Kevin Dorsey
SAP Concur Community Manager
Did this response answer your question? Be sure to select “Accept as Solution” so your fellow community members can be helped by it as well.