cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
laraghrawy
New Member - Level 1

How does a refund reflect on Concur Expense?

Hi Team SAP Concur,
I purchased an item from Amazon and I returned it. The expense showed on my Concur Expense. My question is: Will the refund show as well? How do I submit the claim afterwards?

Thanks for letting me know.

1 Solution
Solution
KevinD
Community Manager
Community Manager

@laraghrawy when the refund is processed, you should see a new negative charge in Concur Expense. Once that refund is available, add it and the original charge to the same expense report. They will cancel each other out. You will need other expenses on the report since a zero amount report cannot be submitted.

Thank you,
Kevin Dorsey
SAP Concur Community Manager
Did this response answer your question? Be sure to select “Accept as Solution” so your fellow community members can be helped by it as well.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Solution
KevinD
Community Manager
Community Manager

@laraghrawy when the refund is processed, you should see a new negative charge in Concur Expense. Once that refund is available, add it and the original charge to the same expense report. They will cancel each other out. You will need other expenses on the report since a zero amount report cannot be submitted.

Thank you,
Kevin Dorsey
Did this response answer your question? Be sure to select “Accept as Solution” so your fellow community members can be helped by it as well.
allens2
New Member - Level 1

Kevin, how do I add the negative charge to another one? I have a number of refunds to deal with as a result of a cancelled trip. I cannot see how to do this....

KevinD
Community Manager
Community Manager

@allens2 what do you mean "how do I add a negative charge to another one?" Another what? Expense Report?

One thing to keep in mind when dealing with refunds is that hopefully the original charges have not been submitted yet so you can add the original charge and refund to the same report.

If that isn't the case, you can still add the refunds (negative amount charges) to an expense report, you just need to be sure that there are enough positive card charges on the same report that add up to at least $1 more than the refunds. The reason is you cannot submit a negative or zero amount expense report. 

Also, treat a refund card charge as you would any other card charge. 🙂

Thank you,
Kevin Dorsey
MTK
Occasional Member - Level 1

@KevinD , I have the exact same situation (amazon refund received after the original purchase expense had already been processed and paid to me), but my problem is that I do not foresee any positive expense in the near future, so your solution of using the refund as a "credit" in my next expense report does not apply. Any suggestion for me?

KevinD
Community Manager
Community Manager

@MTK You have two options:

1. Just let the item sit there. Because it is a credit, it isn't going to affect anything. However, you may get notifications about an unused transaction. I don't know if your company allows for deleting card transactions. To see if they do, click Expense at the top of the SAP Concur home screen. This takes you to the Manage Expenses screen. Scroll down to the Available Expenses section and click the little check box next to the item. Look to see if the Delete button has become active. If so, click Delete. This might delete the item. However, you may get a message saying this isn't allowed.

2. Reach out to your Finance or Accounting Department or whichever department is in charge of issuing company cards and ask them to remove the transaction.

Thank you,
Kevin Dorsey
colbyheaton
Occasional Member - Level 1

Good morning, 

Our company is new to Concur.  A little background - employees are responsible for using their personal credit cards, completing and submitting the Concur software to request a reimbursement.  After approval, the reimbursement is delivered to the employee's bank account through an ACH.  We have an employee that spent $ in May for a hotel stay and was reimbursed by her company (employer) in May.  In June, the employee was reimbursed by the vendor on her personal card for a portion of the May expense.  The employee states that they are not able to make a separate line in their June expense report to show a refund.  As the administrator, I tried to add a line item to the employee reimbursement request and I can not see where I can add a line.  There are other June expenses so the refund, if entered, still results in a positive number.  As the Admin of the company accounts, I can only adjust the $ amounts of existing expenses.  2 Questions:

1. How can administrators add a separate line to an existing employees reimbursement request for expenses/refunds that they forgot to add? 
  2. How does any employee enter a refund as a separate line item for a reimbursement request assuming the total request is still a positive #?   

We are thinking of just asking the employee to write a check to the company as that may be easier.  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.  

@colbyheaton See my answers below in red.

1. How can administrators add a separate line to an existing employees reimbursement request for expenses/refunds that they forgot to add? There are two expense types that cannot be added by admins to employee reports; Hotel and Mileage. This is by system design. That is why you are having an issue trying to add the hotel refund.
  2. How does any employee enter a refund as a separate line item for a reimbursement request assuming the total request is still a positive #?  In the case of hotel, see answer above. In all other cases, you should just be able to enter the amount with a minus sign.

It might be less work and effort to just have the employee write a check back to the company.

Thank you,
Kevin Dorsey