cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Liam_Carden
Occasional Member - Level 1

Expense Type Filtering by Department

Hello all, perhaps one of you can help me.

My company recently mapped their QB account to Concur. We would like to control which departments are associated with which expense types on an expense form.

For example, when an Employee fills out an expense report, lets say they choose "Entertainment-Client" as the expense type, in the "Department" field of the report is a drop-down menu where you can choose which department to charge this expense to. 

Our comapny policy states that the only valid Department for the "Entertainment-Client" expense type should be Sales and Marketing. However, in expense forms generated by Concur all of our Departments are available to be selected from this drop-down. Is there a way to make it so that when an employee selects an expense type, the only available departments available are the ones we associate the expense types with?

A big problem we've encountered with this seems to be the fact that our employees are not bound to a specific department, therefore anybody can create an expense form for any expense. The solutions that have been suggested to us do not seem to take this into account. 

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
KevinD
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello there. What you are asking can be done, but maybe not in the way that you were specifically asking where the Department drop-down options would dependent on the expense type. You could however, create an audit rule that says if a certain expense type is selected, then only a certain department can be used on that line item. If they try and select a different department for that expense type, the line item on the report will be flagged red and cannot be submitted until the correct department is selected. This way is much faster.

Now, one question to keep in mind is: Does this rule need to apply to all users? If so, then the audit rule just needs to be created and then applied Globally. If this only applies to certain users, then it becomes a little more complicated and then you have to distinguish this rule between which groups.

I hope this helps.

Thank you,
Kevin Dorsey
SAP Concur Community Manager
Did this response answer your question? Be sure to select “Accept as Solution” so your fellow community members can be helped by it as well.
Liam_Carden
Occasional Member - Level 1

Thank you so much for your response Kevin. Your's may be the best option we have to resolve this issue. 

However, can you please walk me through the process for creating an audit rule? I'm not sure I know how to do that with the admin Expense settings... Or if Concur has some documentation on the procedure, that would be much appreciated. 

Here are some resources for you:

http://assets.concur.com/concurtraining/cte/en-us/cte_en-us_exp_audit-rules.mp4.

http://www.concurtraining.com/customers/tech_pubs/Docs/_Current/SG_Exp/Exp_SG_Audit_Rules.pdf.

These are from our toolkit. Hopefully this will give you a good idea of how to do it. Keep in mind these are generic resources and not geared toward a specific configuration. If after reviewing these resources you still need some help, send me a PM. 

Thank you,
Kevin Dorsey
SAP Concur Community Manager
Did this response answer your question? Be sure to select “Accept as Solution” so your fellow community members can be helped by it as well.
AvinashN
New Member - Level 1

Yes , you can create a connected list which has Expense type as the first level and then Department as the second level. So when user selects an expense type , system will only show the relevant departments that are linked to it. 

JessicaL
Frequent Member - Level 1

Yes, I would agree with Kevin. We have a connected list that works like you are mentioning but may not be exactly what you need. I think there are multiple options that could work.

Jessica
Travel and Expense System Administrator