cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tstagliano
Routine Member - Level 2

Charges within Hotel Itemization marked as Personal

Have anyone had a situtation where when you are submitting a hotel itemization expense report and you need to mark a portion of one of the daily charges as personal?  For Example, someone stayed in a hotel for 4 days and on night 1, they had a $100 dollar dinner with a personal friend but they will only be reimbursed for half of that but it is all included in the hotel folio so the itemization under the hotel stay would have the full $100?

How can we mark $50 for personal and $50 for reimbursement?

tom

Thomas Stagliano, M.I.T.
4 REPLIES 4
KevinD
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thomas, I think what you will need to do is have the employee delete the single $100 itemization. They will need to add one itemization for $50 to be reimbursed and then add a second itemaztion for the other $50 and use the Personal expense (do not reimburse) check box. 

See if that solves the issue.

Thank you,
Kevin Dorsey
SAP Concur Community Manager
Did this response answer your question? Be sure to select “Accept as Solution” so your fellow community members can be helped by it as well.
tstagliano
Routine Member - Level 2

this will not work becasue the $100 is part of a hotel itemization so it needs to remain like that so it wil match the hotel folio attached as a receipt for that line item.  basically i need to itemize and itemization which i know technically cant be done

Thomas Stagliano, M.I.T.
Josh
Routine Member - Level 2

Hi Thomas,

Yes, what Kevin mentioned is the only way to accomplish this. You can't split a single itemization into half personal / half business, unfortunately. The two $50 itemizations will match the total of the $100 one, so the itemizations should all total up to the total of the bill, even with those split. If it's an issue where it's your company's policy to have the itemizations match exactly every line of the receipt, then this may need to be a case for an exception.

Since the employee made the personal charge (which I assume would be an uncommon occurrence), and it needs to be marked as such, it may be good to include a comment on them to explain to their approver. In my company, we've used issues like this as a coaching opportunity. Almost to help put a little bit of guilt onus on the cardholder to say, 'Just be mindful of this in the future and try to avoid making personal charges on your company card.'

Not sure if your company's policy is rock solid in this instance, or if there's room to allot for exceptions like this. If there isn't, you can always just include a single $100 itemization, comment on it to say 'Half is personal, paid back by [check/deduction]' and have the cardholder reimburse your company via check / payroll deduction. It's nice to have that paper trail in Concur to see all that, but if splitting the itemization is a deal-breaker, you could always accomplish it manually like that.

Hope that helps!

Josh
Nancyagfa
Super User
Super User

Another solution for this would be to put in a -$50 charge on the same date and expense type but not under the itemization.  This essentially removes $50 from the report  and I would add comments on each explaining where the credit can be seen and why.

Nancy Murray
Agfa