cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dayfrench
Occasional Member - Level 3

Receipt Requirements

Hi All,

We have instituted a policy that requires detailed receipts for expense reports (both company credit card transactions and cash reimbursements). We have been receiving a lot of pushback from employees. What are your requirements regarding receipts?
Thanks,

Dana

14 REPLIES 14
RichardG
Routine Member - Level 3

Hi Dana,

We have tried to remove as much of the administrative impost on our employees as we can without compromising the Australian Taxation legislative requirements.  Luckily Diners and Amex in Australia provide enough enhanced data in their feed to be able to claim the tax rebate without keeping receipts.  The question is then how much risk is your organisation prepared to wear?  SAP Concur allows you to create internal audit rules in conjunction with the external audit service module to help you manage this.  Visa and Mastercard unfortunately do not provide the enhanced data in their feed at present, however we have mandated receipt scanning for these cards for transactions over $82.50AUD only.

Kind regards

Richard Grigg
Assistant Director, Business Services
Australian Bureau of Statistics
jsportsman

Hello!

We require itemized receipts for all charges besides per diem, tips or mileage.  We don't have a mandated corporate card program, either and we don't have a $$ threshold, receipts for all.  We have a lot of billable to clients and our thoughts are to have one policy for all.

We are looking at the following...

1. if you use personal card...you will be required to have itemized receipts

2. if you use the corporate card...you will not need receipts because we will get the level 3 data

You can go anyway you like..just communicate the value and reasons behind the direction of the program.

Hope this helps!

Jason

Jason C. Sportsman, GTP
mgobbi
Occasional Member - Level 2

@jsportsman Hi Jason, I just came across this thread and saw that you mentioned you have a lot of billable expenses. Would you mind sharing how you handle cancelled airfare for billable engagements? Do you have any issues (or maybe the solution) as to handling non-refundable airfare that has been cancelled? When a flight is cancelled, a credit is applied to the associate's next flight which is almost never associated to the same client. TIA!

DavidW
Routine Member - Level 1

Our rule:

If you want to be reimbursed ,  100% of the time receipts are required EXCEPT for Tips.

If they loose a receipt they must contact the vendor. If the vendor cannot help them, they have to include this communication in an affidavit.

You'll get push back for about 3-4 months, but if management inforces it, it will be even faster. 

lperez-lopez
Super User
Super User

Hi Dana,

We enforce the itemized receipts for car rental and hotels only. We have tried with the meals and we meet a lot of resistence from users. @DavidW is correct, give them a little time and eventually they will get the new process. Good Luck. 🙂

jsportsman

Agree 100%...we probably over communicate on our intranet, social media and T&E website.  Just be creative in how you communicate to your travelers....it will make change management a bit easier!

Jason C. Sportsman, GTP
KevinD
Community Manager
Community Manager

What I have seen a lot of our customers do when they don't have a policy on receipt requirements, they use the IRS requirements. I believe they are still receipts required for out of pocket expenses that are $25 or more and receipts for corporate card transactions that are $75 or more. The thinking is that if it is good enough for the IRS, it is good enough for their company. 🙂

Thank you,
Kevin Dorsey
SAP Concur Community Manager
Did this response answer your question? Be sure to select “Accept as Solution” so your fellow community members can be helped by it as well.
MicheleW

At my company, where our policy is >$25, I have seen receipt-less expenses come in for oddly round amounts ... like exactly $25. Not necessarily suggesting fraud, but it's certainly more likely if you don't require a receipt.

dayfrench

@MicheleW wrote:

At my company, where our policy is >$25, I have seen receipt-less expenses come in for oddly round amounts ... like exactly $25. Not necessarily suggesting fraud, but it's certainly more likely if you don't require a receipt.

We see that, too. Did you know there is a system report for items near limit about? You can specifically run a report for items just under your receipt limit amount. This could help you spot frequent offenders.

rejrandall
New Member - Level 1

Hi Kevin - Do you have any data behind this?  We are considering relaxing our receipt policy (currently out of pocket expenses that are $25 or more require receipts and for corporate card transactions that are $50 or more).  Any data you have behind this would be great. Thanks!

tstagliano
Routine Member - Level 2

We require receipts for all line items but we also promote the ease of use with the Concur and ExpenseIt mobile apps which allows the receipts to be scanned in automatically to streamline the process and the response has been very good.  WE also utilize emailing the receipts to receipts@concur.com or receipts@expenseit.com

Thomas Stagliano, M.I.T.
BTURNER01

Evening!

Have you built a rule within Concur that requires both when audited or is a manual check to have the receipt (included itemized)?  What type of communication plan did you use? THANKS!

RPPPhotographer
Occasional Member - Level 1

I submitted a VAT receipt for meals in a hotel within my £25.00 per day limited.  The receipt has the time of payment at check out 09:00 hrs next day.  Sap Concur are quibbling about the receipt saying I could not have had my dinner at 09:00 hrs, I have told them that I paid for my meal when I checked out the next morning.  Why can't these people understand that you pay when you leave a hotel, not when you have finished your coffee on the evening.  What does one do to resolve this simple issue ??

Richard

Jeremy

We require itemized receipts for all charges over $25 cash and corporate card.  We don't always get the itemized receipt for meals but it is a requirement in the policy and we will begin to enforce that more this year.

Focus your communications on the ability to take a picture using the cell phone and upload through the Concur App.  It will start to calm down once they see how easy it can be to capture the receipt.  As others stated, communication from Senior management will help quiet the noise as well.